So you’ve decided to tie the knot? Congratulations! The helpful folks at the Register of Wills’ Marriage License Bureau are here to make you and your partner’s union official.
The marriage license can be used in any county in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; however, a PA marriage license cannot be used out of state. Here’s a step-by-step guide on getting your marriage license.
Check for eligibility
First, make sure you are prepared and qualified to get your marriage license:
- You must be getting married within 60 days.
- You each must bring two forms of ID.
- If previously married, you must bring a certified copy of your divorce decree. A widowed applicant must submit a certified copy of the death certificate of the deceased spouse.
Refer to this helpful checklist to learn which forms of ID are accepted and to make sure you have all the items you need.
Make an appointment
Now that you’ve confirmed your eligibility, you can make an appointment to visit the Marriage License Bureau in City Hall. To make an appointment, email MLappt@phila.gov.
Apply for your license at City Hall
Both applicants must appear together in Room 413 City Hall to apply for the marriage license. Also, both applicants must wear a face mask in City Hall to abide by COVID-19 health and safety rules. Here‘s a photo guide for getting to Room 413:
- When you get to City Hall, go to the northeast corner entrance.
- Check-in at the security desk when you go inside.
- Take the stairs or the elevator up to the fourth floor.
- On the fourth floor, go to Room 413 and knock on the door.
- A helpful representative from the Marriage License Bureau will take you through the rest of the process.
Paying for your license
The fee for a marriage license is $90.00, payable by Visa, MasterCard, certified check, or money order. Cash and personal checks are not accepted. A Quaker (or Self-Uniting) license is $100.
Have more questions? Visit the Register of Wills website or contact the Marriage License Bureau at 215-686-2233 or by email at Rowonline@phila.gov. Marriage License Representatives are available Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET.
All photos in this post were taken by John Zimmerman, Register of Wills.