Volunteer to clean up Philly’s parks this summer!
Philadelphia’s parks have seen record usage over the last several months. That’s great! But there’s also been an increase in litter in our parks. You can help address this problem by volunteering to Love Your Park Solo.
Each year, Philadelphia’s park friends groups host hundreds of Love Your Park cleanups. This year, we had to cancel these events to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. As an alternative, we’re inviting everyone to pitch in by doing those cleanups on their own, or with their family!
- Sign up to receive free cleanup kits in the mail (while supplies last).
- Pledge to track their work online.
- Post photos of their efforts for others to see.
You’ll send me a free cleanup kit? What’s in it?
Yes! While supplies last, after you sign up online we’ll send you a kit in the mail that includes:
- Work gloves.
- Trash bags.
- Fairmount Park Conservancy bandanna (works great as a mask!)
- Safety instructions and cleanup guidelines
The first 60 people to sign up will also receive a trash grabber.
How does it work?
- Sign up online.
- Make sure that you have all of the tools that you need: gloves, trash bags, and a face mask. Bring a trash-grabber, too, if you have one.
- Head to your local park.
- Collect much litter as you can carry in your trash bag. Or fill a few bags if you’re feeling ambitious!
- Tie off your trash bags and set them next to a park trash can to be collected. If space allows, you may place the bags in a park trash can. You can also take the trash home with you and put it out with your regular weekly collection.
When you’re done:
- Remove your gloves carefully. Wash your hands for twenty seconds.
- Post before and after photos of your cleanup work on social media. Be sure to include the name of your park. Use #loveyourpark and tag @myphillypark and @philaparkandrec.
- Head back to loveyourpark.org or GivePulse to share your accomplishments!
Be sure to clean safely:
- Wear a mask & gloves at all times. Never pick up trash with your bare hands!
- Stay at least six feet from others (except members of your household).
- Use hand sanitizer or wash your hands immediately after removing gloves.
- Dispose of single-use gloves in the trash. Wash reusable work gloves between uses.
- Remember that many facilities and public restrooms remain closed.
- Stay home if you experience COVID-19 symptoms. Know the symptoms.
- Stay home if you have had close contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case in the past 14 days.
Love Your Park Solo is a collaborative effort between Parks & Rec and the non-profit Fairmount Park Conservancy.
Would you like more information before you sign up? Are you interested in cleaning up your neighborhood recreation center? Would you like to take part in a small group cleanup? Check out the Love Your Park Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).