Memorial Day means summer is almost here. Most years, the holiday means picnics, block parties, and BBQs with friends and family. To protect the health of our loved ones, and fellow Philadelphians, we have to celebrate differently this year.
Please remember that Philadelphia is under a Stay at Home order. Residents must stay home as much as possible to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. Barbecues, large picnics, and group gatherings are not permitted at this time. Here’s some guidance on how to safely enjoy the holiday weekend.
Follow these guidelines to keep yourself and others healthy:
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds. Use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Maintain six feet of distance from those outside your household.
- Don’t plan to socialize or meet friends.
- Keep a mask with you at all times. Be sure to wear it if you are within 6 feet of others. Learn why, when, and how to use a mask.
If you head to a park for exercise and fresh air over the holiday weekend, please:
- Visit on your own or with members of your household.
- Go to your neighborhood park if there’s one close by.
- Park your vehicle in designated parking areas only. Do not drive or park on the grass.
- If you need to rest, find a space away from others. Use all available park space. Don’t crowd the most popular spots. Find a quiet corner.
- Limit park your visits to 60 to 90 minutes to allow others to use our limited park space.
- Try not to touch commonly touched objects like benches and handrails.
- Bring a water bottle to stay hydrated. Water fountains are not available.
- Don’t take part in group sports.
- Don’t use playgrounds or outdoor exercise equipment.
- Keep your dog on its leash. The standard leash is six feet long. This helps maintain safe distance between pet owners. It’s also the law!
- Be sure to follow park rules. These rules are enforced by Philadelphia Parks & Recreation and the Philadelphia Police Department.