Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is Monday, January 20, and Philadelphia Parks & Recreation is hosting service events in parks and recreation centers all across the city. Remember Dr. King’s message by coming out to help your community. Projects include:
- Cleaning up leaves, trash, and litter around parks or playgrounds
- Organizing storage areas and recreation equipment
- Clearing the walkways and curbside
- Helping to remove graffiti
- Preparing donations for those in need
- Painting exterior and interior surfaces
- Invasive species removal
- Setting up, decorating, and break-down for MLK Day of Service celebration events.
One event at Lawncrest Recreation Center is looking for help ahead of time. Their service day project involves preparing toiletry bags for the homeless, so they are accepting donations of general toiletries such as:
- hair brushes
If you can’t make it to a service event on January 20, this is a great way to show your support. Donations can be dropped off Monday through Friday, 2-9 p.m. or Saturday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at:
Lawncrest Recreation Center
6000 Rising Sun Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19111
Donations will be accepted up until the service day.
This is just one example of the many fantastic service events taking place in parks and recreation centers next week.