The 2020 Census is quickly approaching. In Philadelphia, we started our planning process early and need residents to play a critical role.
Census data is used everywhere: education, housing, transportation, jobs, Congressional representation, and health care. The results will impact Philadelphia for the next 10 years. However, the upcoming census comes with new challenges: web-based response, no funding for community outreach, and distrust in the federal government.
You can support our Philly Counts outreach efforts by raising awareness in your community and encouraging participation among your friends, family, neighbors, and the general public. To be an expert resource for your community, simply sign up to become a Census Champion.
What is a Census Champion?
A Census Champion is a trusted messenger who has the tools to educate their community about the census and its impact on our city.
People tend to trust members of their community more than the government or other official sources. You, as a Census Champion, will be a trusted resource. You will be part of an elite team with great responsibility. Census Champions will share critical information and educate the public about the census through a grassroots, neighbor-to-neighbor approach.
About the Census Champion Training
On September 17—Constitution Day—Philly Counts will launch its Census Champion Training program. The Census Champion Training is a 90-minute session designed to prepare people with the knowledge needed to effectively and accurately answer questions about the 2020 Census.
The training will be divided into sessions covering all relevant topics, such as:
- Data security.
- Digital literacy to prep for the census.
- Special cases like college students, incarcerated people, senior homes, children under five years old, undocumented people, LGBTQ+, and more.
- Barriers, motivations, misinformation, participation, and FAQs.
- Tailored messages for various communities and demographics.
Philly Counts will host the training across the city, with a goal of training 1,000 people in at least three different languages: English, Spanish, and Mandarin. This is part of a city-wide effort to train as many people as possible.
Help shape the future of our city now by getting involved. You can:
- Host a training in your community on September 17. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, so we can help coordinate and provide materials.
- Sign up to become a Census Champion.