The Oval+, a pop-up park at Eakins Oval on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, will return for its seventh year–bigger and better than ever! The park opens on July 19 at 5 p.m. and runs until August 18. Visitors of all ages are invited to spend time playing, creating, and hanging out at Eakins Oval and along the Parkway.
To “Double the Fun on the Parkway,” the Oval+ has added three new features to the closed parkway area. Philadelphia-based urban design firm PORT Urbanism and Mural Arts Philadelphia collaborated to create bright, playful graphics and structures to animate the space based on three themes:
- MAKE: This block features outdoor reading and music rooms, a shipping container transformed into a space for art and design, and tons of activities for children. Activities include Drag Queen Story Time, music and singing lessons, reading coaching, design workshops, and a global craft market.
- HEAR: This block features art installations, stadium seats to watch live performances, a pop-up brewery with local beers and wines, and DJs. Also in HEAR is a double-decker bus that has been converted into a music and snack stand. The bottom of the bus will be a lounge, and the top will have standing room to overlook the park.
- PLAY: This block features your favorite sports, including a pop-up basketball court, tether ball, badminton, and ping-pong. The stadium seating will be perfect for spectators to watch the many ping-pong tournaments. PLAY will have activities from Fab Youth Philly’s Play Captains and Pop Up Play on Saturdays.
Collectively, these themes help emphasize The Oval+’s goal of creating “more park” and “less way” along the parkway.
In addition to the Parkway extension activities, the Eakins Oval section will also feature:
- Food trucks
- 9-hole mini golf course
- Free fitness classes
- Mr. Mister spray garden
- Ribbon Garden designed by PORT
- Live music
- Oversized sandbox for children
- Lawn games
Weekly themed days at Eakins Oval include:
- Wellness Wednesdays
- Arts & Culture Thursdays
- Friday Food & Flicks
- Game Day Saturdays
- Sunday Family Fundays
Please note there will be limited road closures from July 5 to August 25:
- The outbound outer lanes (north side of Parkway) will be closed to vehicles between 20th Street and Art Museum Drive.
- The outbound Parkway bike lane will remain open.
- N. 20th St., N. 21st St., and N. 22nd St. will remain open.
- Vine St. traffic will be directed to the Parkway inner lanes or to make a right onto 20th St.
The Oval+ is presented by Philadelphia Parks & Recreation in partnership with Fairmount Park Conservancy, PNC Bank, Mural Arts Philadelphia, PORT, and Heads of State.