PHILADELPHIA – Officials with the Philadelphia Fire Department and the Office of Emergency Management provided an update on Sunday regarding the Philadelphia Energy Solutions refinery fire:
- The fire was extinguished yesterday afternoon
- The gas valve fueling the fire has been shut off
- The tank involved in the explosion/fire has been isolated
- The Fire Department’s hazmat unit and the city’s Department of Public Health continue to monitor the air quality around the refinery
- The cause and origin of the fire will be investigated starting Monday morning by agencies including the Occupational Safety and Health Administration; Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board; and the PFD Fire Marshal’s Office.
Concerned residents can call the PES Community Information Hotline at 215-339-7300 for updates and the status of the refining complex. PES also set up a number for residents to report damage from the incident: 800-899-1844.