By Amy Hopf, Digital Content Associate
When cold weather rolls around, Parks & Rec programming heats up! Our recreation centers and playgrounds offer affordable activities to keep you busy year-round.
Here are ten Parks & Rec staff recommendations to check out this season.
1) Dance combo class
- When: Saturdays, January through May
- Time: 9 a.m.-10 a.m. (ages 3-6) and 10 a.m.-11 a.m. (ages 6-9)
- Where: Palmer Playground (3035 Comly Rd., 19154)
- Cost: $25 per month, plus $10 registration fee
- Ages: 3-9
This class consists of 30 minutes of ballet and 30 minutes of tap. Children are taught the basics of each dance genre and will work on a piece to perform on stage in May. For more information, contact the rec center at 215-685-0371.
2) Thursday tots program
- When: Thursdays, once a month
- Time: 1 p.m.-2 p.m.
- Where: Wissahickon Environmental Center (300 W. Northwestern Ave., 19118)
- Cost: $5
- Age: 3-5
One Thursday a month, bring your little one for an hour of discovery at the Tree House at Wissahickon Environmental Center. Each month, we will explore a new topic that celebrates the season, such as birds and maple syrup. Learn more or register on the environmental center’s Facebook page.
- When: Tuesdays, now through the end of the school year
- Time: 6 p.m.-7:30 p.m.
- Where: Olney Recreation Center (100 E. Godfrey Ave., 19120)
- Cost: $5 per class,with a two-class minimum
- Age: All ages
Interesting in creating pottery? Participants in this class learn how to create ceramic artwork using wet clay. Sign up by calling 215-685-2889.
4) After school community arts project
- When: Tuesdays and Thursdays, January through May
- Time: 3:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m.
- Where: Mount Airy Playground (7001 Germantown Ave., 19119)
- Cost: Free
- Ages: 10 to 14
Attendees will learn basic drawing and painting skills, and then later paint murals for a local restaurant. Presented in partnership with the Mt. Airy Art Garage. Call 215-685-9297 to register.
5) Martial arts
- When: Wednesdays and Fridays, now through June
- Time: 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
- Where: Max Myers Playground (1601 Hellerman St., 19149)
- Cost: $40 per month
- Ages: 5 and older
Max Myers offers a program to teach all ages the ins and outs of martial arts. To learn more or register, call 215-685-1242.
6) Knit a hat
- When: Thursdays, now through March 28
- Time: 7 p.m.-8 p.m.
- Where: Rivera Recreation Center (3201 N. 5th St., 19140)
- Cost: $2 per hat; supplies are included
- Ages: 8 to 14
Learn how to make a hat using a round loom! Create one for yourself or to give away. Registration is required. Please call 215-685-9887 for more information.
7) Vision boarding
- When: Mondays and Wednesdays, now through February 18
- Time: 6 p.m.
- Where: Mander Playground (2140 N. 33rd St., 19121)
- Cost: Free
- Ages: 12 years and up
This program will explore the benefits of internal growth for prosperity. Learn how to advance socially, financially, mentally, and health-wise, and create a budget to help you reach your goals. Learn more or sign up by calling 215-685-3894.
8) Princess in Bloom
- When: Tuesdays (6 p.m.-8 p.m.), Thursdays (6 p.m.-8 p.m.), or Saturdays (10 a.m.-12 p.m.), starting in February
- Where: Kingsessing Recreation Center (4901 Kingsessing Ave., 19143)
- Cost: $5 monthly dues, plus $25 registration fee
- Ages: 5-16
A pageant and etiquette program for young girls, taught by facilitator Jamila Abdur-Rahman. Sign-ups will begin in February. Register and get more information at the rec center, or by calling 215-685-2695.
9) Random Acts of Kindness Club
- When: Mondays, twice a month
- Time: 6 p.m.-7:15 p.m.
- Where: Columbus Square Playground (1200 Wharton St., 19147)
- Cost: Free
- Ages: 7 and older
The Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) Club aims to show the importance of being kind and giving back. Participants make arts and crafts and bring them to a local nursing home; cook and package food for homeless shelters; collect jackets for the homeless; and more. Learn more or sign up by calling 215-685-1890.
10) Girl Power Club
- When: Mondays, January 28 through March 4
- Time: 6:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m.
- Where: Northern Liberties Recreation Center (321 Fairmount Ave., 19123)
- Cost: $30 for 6 weeks
- Ages: 2nd-8th grade
This club builds up girls’ self esteem by forming quality relationships, listening to one another, and doing fun activities like cooking, painting, and science experiments. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 215-686-1785 to sign up.