To get a PHL City ID, you must prove your identity and residency in Philadelphia. You can use a variety of documents to do this.
The PHL City ID uses a four-point system for the application. Different documents are worth different numbers of points. You must have documents that add up to four points to receive a PHL City ID.
Proving your identity
Your proof of identity documents must include one with a photo and one with a date of birth. They might include your:
- U.S. or foreign passport.
- U.S. or foreign birth certificate.
- Social Security card.
- Veterans’ identification card.
- SEPTA Key senior ID card.
- U.S. or foreign driver’s license.
- High school or college student ID card.
- Inmate identification card.
- Consular Identification Card (CID).
Proving your residency
You’ll also need to prove that you live in Philadelphia. You might provide your:
- Utility bill.
- Bank statement.
- Current lease.
- Vehicle registration.
- Pay stub.
- Letter from hospital, health clinic, shelter, or social service agency.
Choosing your documents
All documents must be original and current. We cannot accept copies. Some expired forms of ID may be accepted at a lower point value.
For a full list of accepted documents, see the document guide.
You can also use our document calculator to check that you have enough points.