USCC - Department of Medical Service[Record group 230-29]
- Agency History
- The functions of the Medical Department were to supply medical and surgical assistance within the Exhibition grounds; to advise with reference to sanitary questions; and to issue in authoritative form such information on the sanitary condition of Philadelphia and of the Exhibition as might be desirable. The important subjects of the drainage and water supply of the Exhibition grounds were placed entirely under the control of the Chief Engineer of the grounds.
The Medical Department was organized in the early part of 1876, by the appointment of a Medical Director, a staff composed of six medical officers, and a secretary, who was also the Resident Physician at the Hospital in the Exhibition grounds.
For the final report of the Bureau of Medical Service, see Final Report of the Director-General.
- Archival Records
- There are no records surviving from this Bureau.
Click on a folder or file to return to that level...
Current Agency Information Sheet. (Text-only version of this page)
Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated on November 8, 2000