What we do
Mayor Kenney appointed nine members to the Philadelphia Board of Education (BOE) in April 2018.
Board of Education duties
- Oversee all major policy, budgetary, and financial decisions for the school district
- Appoint and evaluate the superintendent of schools
- Adopt annual operating and capital budgets
- Authorize the receiving or expending of funds
- Authorize charter schools
Board members will also attend monthly public meetings and make regular visits to public schools.
The Board understands the responsibility they hold and wants to build on the school district’s recent progress. To do that, they spent the spring and early summer of 2018 preparing to lead. They attended training sessions and took part in a city-wide listening tour. During the tour, the Board heard from students, parents, educators, and residents about what they want from their schools. Learn more about what they heard in the Listening Tour report.