What we do
In 2018, after 17 years of state control, Mayor Kenney reestablished local control of the School District of Philadelphia and subsequently appointed nine Philadelphians to serve on the Board of Education. Throughout his administration, Mayor Kenney has maintained the board’s membership with vetting support from a nominating panel of education and industry experts.
Board of Education duties
- Oversee all major policy, budgetary, and financial decisions for the school district
- Appoint and evaluate the superintendent of schools
- Adopt annual operating and capital budgets
- Authorize the receiving or expending of funds
- Authorize charter schools
Board members attend monthly public action meetings, participate in committee meetings and executive sessions, and make regular visits to public schools.