To apply to become a Board of Education appointee, please read the requirements and complete the interest form. Applications are due by 11:59 p.m. Friday, February 23, 2024.
Legal requirements for board membership
Board members must be:
- Citizens of the Commonwealth;
- Of good moral character;
- At least 18 years of age; and
- Residents of the City for at least 1 year prior to appointment.
Prohibitions on board appointment
Board members cannot:
- Hold any office or position of profit under City Government.
- Be employed by the School District of Philadelphia.
- Hold certain types of public office listed in state law.
- Serve on the board of trustees of a charter school located in the City.
- Do business with the School District or receive pay for services
- Have already served on the Board of Education for 3 full terms.
- Have been removed from public office for malfeasance.
Notes on prohibitions
- These are appointment prohibitions only.
- Once appointed, Board members will be subject to other conflict of interest and ethical rules that are not covered here, such as the Board of Education’s Code of Ethics and the Public Official and Employees Ethics Act (sometimes called the “State Ethics Act”).
- The School District’s Office of General Counsel will provide training and guidance to Board members.
- Items 1 through 5 are curable. For example, candidate could resign from prohibited position or end candidate’s business relationship with the School District in order to be eligible for appointment.