Applications are open through August 11, at 9:00 a.m.
PHILADELPHIA – The Office of Civic Engagement and Volunteer Service (OCEVS) is accepting applications for the 2023 – 2024 Community Resource Corps (CRC) AmeriCorps Program cohort, a program that was launched in 2021 and was made possible by the William Penn Foundation and the Pennsylvania State Service Commission.
While the City has worked to connect residents in need to high-priority resources including income-based assistance programs, housing support, digital-access programs, and anti-hunger programs, issues of poverty are worsened by digital, disability, economic, language, and literacy barriers. In response to the need to overcome these barriers, the CRC AmeriCorps program works towards:
- Connecting residents to City resources, from sharing information about resources to contacting eligible residents and supporting them with the application process,
- Serving as a workforce development opportunity for its community-based AmeriCorps members,
- Increasing the City of Philadelphia’s capacity to engage hard-to-reach communities by strategically coordinating outreach efforts and establishing a field team of trusted messengers to connect with vulnerable populations more effectively.
“The Community Resource Corps is a unique and nontraditional AmeriCorps program that was designed with equitable engagement and racial equity at its core,” said Chief Service Officer, Amanda Gamble. “The CRC was not only created to alleviate the stressors of the pandemic on our residents but also to empower members of the Philadelphia community to support their own neighborhoods and in that process, begin a career in civic and community engagement.”
This fall, OCEVS will welcome the third cohort of AmeriCorps Members serving in-person and part-time to conduct community outreach and connect residents to essential resources and City services. Members will serve one of the following terms:
- 10-month term, serving 1,200 hours from October 2, 2023, to August 30, 2024.
- 6-month term, serving 675 hours from October 2, 2023, to April 12, 2024.
The CRC welcomes AmeriCorps Members with diverse experiences, identities, and people impacted by mass incarceration and court-involved individuals. People with most types of convictions are eligible with the exception of sex crimes or murder due to federal requirements. The CRC is seeking Members who are:
- Activists and organizers in their own community
- People interested in making a difference and becoming a leader in their neighborhood
- People who commit to a full term of service
AmeriCorps Members will receive:
- A living stipend,
- Healthcare support,
- Transportation support,
- Monthly professional development trainings and AmeriCorps uniforms,
- Education Award of $4,546.50 for a 10-month term or $2,474.27 for a 6-month term upon completion,
- Five (5) points on the City of Philadelphia’s civil service exam upon completion of the program.
AmeriCorps Members must:
- Be 17 (with parental consent) or older,
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or Lawful Permanent Resident,
- Have or be working toward a high school degree or equivalency,
- Clear and give consent to a National Service Criminal History Check (this check screens out people with convictions for sex crimes or murder. If you have any questions or concerns about this process, please contact us at the email below).
Interested applicants can learn more and submit an application online.
The CRC will be accepting applications until 9:00 am on Wednesday, August 11, 2023. Any questions and requests for support can be directed to CRC@phila.gov.