The Office of Policy & Strategic Initiatives for Criminal Justice & Public Safety (CJPS) continues its Philadelphia Roadmap to Safer Communities (PRSC) 2022 Community Listening Tour Series throughout this August and September. The PRSC Community Listening Tour is an opportunity for community members to share their opinions and ideas on the City’s violence prevention efforts and learn more about the Roadmap to Safer Communities, all while we build community connections with leaders, residents, and city agencies alike.
This past spring, CJPS hosted ten meetings throughout Philadelphia to explain the PRSC to community members and gain feedback on how it can be best implemented in their communities. The goals of this Listening Tour were to:
- Provide an overview of the PRSC.
- Gauge community knowledge and understanding of the PRSC.
- Have a guided and authentic dialogue about issues and solutions to gun violence.
- Build relationships with and within community.
CJPS hosted meetings throughout areas of Philadelphia, including:
- South Philadelphia
- North Philadelphia
- West Philadelphia
To better understand how Philadelphians feel about gun violence in the community and how the City works to address it, we asked the following questions:
- What is one thing you hope to get out of these meetings?
- When you think about gun violence in your communities, what do you think is needed most to reduce shootings in your neighborhood?
- What isn’t working in your communities? What is working in your communities?
- What is your vision for your neighborhood? What does a safe and healthy community look like to you?
- Are you connected to solutions in your community? How would you like to be in contact with the City?
CJPS engaged in rich conversations at every meeting and are excited to share learnings with community.
What can community members expect from these meetings?
Community members will hear updates from the City’s spring meetings: what did the City learn and how do we plan to implement this feedback into future strategies. CJPS will also continue to engage community members in open discussion and gain further feedback on what next steps will be.
When and where will the next meetings be?
- Tuesday, August 30, 2022 6 – 8 p.m.: Emmanuel Christian Center, 2990 St. Vincent Street 19149
- Thursday, September 1, 2022 6 – 8 p.m.: TBD
- Thursday, September 8, 2022 6 – 8 p.m.: Hope Partnership for Education, 2601 N. 11 Street 19133
- Thursday, September 15, 2022 6 – 8 p.m.: The Lighthouse Outdoor Facility, 199 E. Eerie Avenue 19134