This post was written by Shawn Hawes, Public Information Office, Philadelphia Department of Prisons
Although in-person visits are still not permitted due to the COVID-19 crisis, we are pleased to announce that on December 15, video visits will be an available option for Philadelphia Department of Prisons inmates and their family and friends.
Using the video visitation app, Getting Out, these visits can be accessed on all devices including mobile phones.
- Inmates are permitted to add up to 5 email addresses to their video call list in addition to the 5 phone numbers they may have on their phone call list.
- Video visitation will provide each participant two, free fifteen-minute video calls each week.
- Beyond the two free weekly video visits, PDP inmates will also be able to purchase an additional 30 minutes of video call time.
- The cost is $.25 cents per minute, or $7.50 for 30 minutes per video call.
- They will only be charged for the minutes that are used.
- PDP inmates will continue to receive 15 minutes of free phone calls every day – an additional 5 minutes of calls were added for free, at the onset of the pandemic. In February, we will return to the past practice of providing inmates with 10 minutes of free phone calls per day.
It is our hope that these calls will lessen the distance and uncertainty for both inmates and their loved ones during this time of crisis.