As the Mayor’s Office of Civic Engagement and Volunteer Service prepares for the year ahead, we want to take a moment and reflect on what we accomplished in 2019. Our Annual Report highlights our big wins and all the ways in which we were able to connect with and engage Philadelphians in our work.
Over the past year, our team focused on growth and collaboration. In 2019 we:
- Trained over 800 community members and City employees through our Civic Engagement Academy.
- Completed the pilot year of the Mayor’s Volunteer Corps, and recognized five outstanding members at the Mayor’s Day of Service Recognition.
- Placed more than 70 VISTA members across 21 City departments.
- Surpassed 104,000 hours of service by our Foster Grandparents in pre-K and elementary schools.
- Regularly convened cross-sector leaders and National Service programs to discuss decreasing barriers to and promoting awareness of service year opportunities.
- Engaged 154 City employees monthly to discuss and share best practices for civic engagement.
- Consulted and supported volunteer recruitment for Philly Free Streets and outreach for the Philadelphia Resident Survey.