It’s an exciting time for families with children who will be 3 or 4 on September 1! Enrollment is open for PHLpreK, the city’s free quality pre-K program! While 80% of seats are already full, you can still sign your child up at centers all around the city. Last year’s families highly recommend the program! We’re so excited for all that the 2018-2019 students will learn! As you prepare to send your child for pre-K this year here are 10 tips from PHLpreK director Julie Beamon.
1. Make sure your child is on a good sleep schedule! With plenty to learn and do all day getting enough rest helps children show up ready for all the fun that is ahead!
2. Ask your child what they learned at the end of each day. Hint: a lot! This is a fun way to build a routine and communication skills with your child. They will love to tell you about their activities and adventures.
3. Don’t stress about what your child will be eating during the day. Rest assured that your child will receive a healthy breakfast and lunch while at PHLpreK! Nutrition is key to learning.
4. Know that social interaction skills are a big part of PHLpreK! When surveyed, last year’s parents said PHLpreK is an “excellent program.” One parent we spoke to shared that PHLpreK is “such a great way for kids to learn social emotional skills before kindergarten. Helps creativity, addresses different types of learners.”
5. Reinforce what your child is learning during the day! The city is a classroom, and so is your home! Find fun ways to learn before and after PHLpreK each day.
6. Know that the goal of PHLpreK is to develop your child into a well-rounded individual. PHLpreK develops the full child. That means nurturing academic, physical, social, and emotional needs.
7. Know that your child will be in a safe, caring, and loving environment for 5 1/2 hours during the day. That means more time for you to work, go to school, and more!
8. If you need care for your child before or after school, or during the summer, there are resources to help you! CCIS provides care on an income needs basis.
9. As a PHLpreK parent you’ll stay in the loop with our parent newsletter! Sign up for other Mayor’s Office of Education updates here.
10. After PHLpreK, kindergarten is next! When your child will be 5 before September 1, it is time to start thinking about enrollment. Because seats fill up fast it’s never too early to plan ahead. Enrollment usually begins in January and ends in May. Learn more about enrolling in kindergarten today.