Update as of Monday, February 10, 2020
On Thursday, February 6, 2020, a transition meeting was held between PWD, PGW and Streets. The meeting was scheduled to ensure a smooth transition from PWD to PGW. We also discussed outstanding issues and timelines. Below are the topics discussed followed by each department’s update.
The scheduled timeline is as follows:
- PWD is scheduled to complete their initial phase the week of February 10th.
- PGW is scheduled to begin their work on Monday, February 17, 2020. Their work is scheduled to last approximately eight (8) weeks.
- PWD expects to have their design and infrastructure ready for installation once PGW is finished. Their work is scheduled to last twelve (12) weeks.
- Once PWD is completed, they will turn the project over to Streets for resurfacing.
- PWD is doing tests to check for a leak on the 800 block of Wilder Street.
- Laterals in the street have been sealed by PWD / L&I is sealing laterals at the curb.
- PWD is performing dye tests at 1442 S. 8th Street. There is a hole in the sidewalk, and it appears to be hollow underneath the sidewalk.
- PWD will be lining the sewer and doing dye tests to evaluate cracks in the footway.
- PWD will be sending their infrastructure design to the Project Control Unit on Monday, February 10, 2020.
- Philadelphia Gas Works (PGW) is scheduled to begin work to replace the underground natural gas infrastructure on 1400 S. 8th Street, 1400 S. 9th Street and 800 Wilder Street beginning Monday, February 17, 2020. Hand delivered information will also be distributed to the impacted blocks beginning tomorrow to include the work schedule, FAQs and contact information.
- As shared at last Wednesday’s community meeting PGW has been conducting proactive leak surveys on the 700-800 blocks of Dickinson, 800 block of Wilder, and the 1300, 1400 & 1500 blocks S. 8th Street. Those leak surveys will continue until PGW has completed our work to replace our delivery system in the area. PGW also visits the location daily to monitor any work being conducted in the area by PGW, other agencies and private contractors.
- Parking: No Parking Signage will be placed on each block 2-3 business days before PGW work will begin. Work is conducted one block at a time. Crews work from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Cars can park overnight.
- PGW Risk Management – Anyone that may have a claim with PGW can contact PGW Risk Management at 215-684-6535.
- If anyone believes they smell a gas odor – leave the area and immediately call PGW at 215-235-1212. Do not report gas odor on social media channels – they are not monitored around the clock. All utilities including PGW add a rotten egg smell to natural gas. If you smell a rotten, egg-like smell, please call 215-235-1212. This line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Have Questions? Residents should contact email@example.com or 215-684-6880. Infrastructure replacement projects can bring a lot of questions and we are committed to responding to each and every one of them.
- L&I will be scheduling the inspection of the properties along the 1400 block of 8th Street for structural damage on Saturday, February 15, 2020. OEM will be forwarding notices.
- The Port-A-Potties should have been picked up last Friday. They have not been removed. The company has been contacted again and they have assured L&I that they will be picked up today. If they are not removed by Monday morning, L&I will have them removed using their own resources.
- The following laterals are being sealed today by a plumber contracted with L&I: 1431, 1433, 1435, 1437 and 1439 South 8th Street. The lateral seals are done at the curb trap, not at the sewer.
- Streets has placed a highly visible electronic message board on 8th Street at Reed Street.