Philadelphia Information Locator ServiceThe majority of the names from this list are taken from Philadelphia Almanac and Citizens' Manual which was edited by Kenneth Finkel and published by the Library Company of Philadelphia in 1994 and 1995. It has been augmented by the staff of the Philadelphia City Archives.
Philadelphia Neighborhoods and Place Names, Q-Z
(R.D.A.) = Redevelopment Area.
Neighborhood Location Date(s) of
Queen Lane Manor Vicinity of the campus of William Penn Charter School. Queen Village Below South Street, along Delaware River to the vicinity of 8th and Carpenter Streets. 1970s Ramcat See Schuylkill. Rhawnhurst At Rhawn Street and Bustleton Avenue, north of Cottman Avenue, west of Roosevelt Boulevard. Named for George and William Rhawn by real estate developers. 1924 Richmond On Delaware River, south of Frankford Creek, east of Kensington and Frankford Avenue. 1843 Risdon's Ferry Vicinity of Torresdale on Delaware River. Named for John Risdon, whose ferry ran from foot of Fitler Street. Rising Sun Also known as Sunville. East of Temple University Hospital. Named for a tavern located at Germantown Avenue and Old York Road. 1843-1899 Rittenhouse Southwest quarter of Center City, in the vicinity of Rittenhouse Square. 1970s Rittenhouse-Germantown (R.D.A.) Bounded by Germantown Avenue, Chelten Avenue, SEPTA's R8 railroad line, and Rittenhouse Street 1952-1963 Rittenhouse Town Also known as Rittenhousetown or Rittenhouse. Located within present bounds of Fairmount Park near intersection of Lincoln Drive and Wissahickon Avenue. Site of first paper mill in America in the 1690s. 1970s River Park Vicinity of Schuylkill River, near City Avenue, adjacent to Fairmount Park. 1980 Rockdale Also known as Princeton Station. Last place in Philadelphia along Schuylkill River, just before Miquon. Located along River Road. Rockville Also known as Rocky Hill. Northwest of Cedar Hill Cemetery, in the vicinity of Oxford Circle. 1843-1899 Rosehill Vicinity of C Street and Indiana Avenue. Rose of Bath See Bath Town. Roseville On Frankford Avenue just below Frankford Creek. Renamed Doverville in 1845. 1843 Rowlandville Vicinity of Tacony Creek and Wyoming Avenue. Named for the Benjamin Rowland shovel factory located on Tacony Creek. 19th century Roxborough Also known as Rocksborrow and Roxborro. Located between the Schuylkill River and Wissahickon Creek above Manayunk. 1706 Ryers North of Cottman Avenue at the border with Montgomery County. Centered around Ryers Mansion, also known as Burholme Mansion. 1980 Saint Martin's Western Chestnut Hill, in the vicinity of St. Martin's Lane and Willow Grove Avenue. Earlier name was Wissahickon Heights. 1880s Sandiford Between Fox Chase and Holmesburg, on Bustleton Avenue. 1855-1910 Sandy Hill Along Bustleton and Smithfield turnpike, north of River Road. 1843 Saunders Park Vicinity of 40th Street, Lancaster to Powelton Avenues. 1980s Saw Dust Village On a hill south of the present site of Central High School. Schuylkill East of Schuylkill River, from Christian Street to Grays Ferry Avenue, to 23rd Street, to about Pine Street. 1970s Schuylkill River Park (R.D.A.) Bounded by Arch Street, 23rd Street, Chestnut Street, 22nd Street, Walnut Street, 23rd Street, South Street and Schuylkill River 1964 Shackamaxon Also known as Shackaemuxen. Known by the Swedes (40 years before the English arrival) by this Native term meaning "place of eels," but considered to mean "meeting place of chiefs." 17th century Shantytown Along Parkside (then Elm) Avenue from 41st to 44th Streets until destroyed by a fire. Mid-19th century Sharswood East of Brewerytown, in the vicinity of Girard College. 1970s Shawmont Along Schuylkill River, beyond Manayunk. 1980s Sherwood At Baltimore Avenue between 50th and 56th Streets. 1990 Smearsburg Vicinity of Manheim and Wister Streets in Germantown. 1890s Smithfield Also known as Smithville. See Somerton. Smoky Hollow Located in the vicinity of Rising Sun Avenue and Wingohocking Street, near Greenmount Cemetery. Society Hill Walnut Street to Pine Street, Delaware River to 7th Street. Southerly portion of original settlement - named for tract given to the Free Society of Traders by William Penn in 1685. Somerton Also known as Smithfield, Smithville and Pleasantville. Vicinity surrounding intersection of Bustleton Avenue and Byberry Road. 1720 Somerville Also known as Irishtown. Church Lane and Limekiln Pike. Located in the vicinity of Goat Hill and Fenian Hill. 1888-1910 Sommerhausen Also known as Somerhausen and Summerhausen. Southeasterly half of Chestnut Hill between Rex Avenue and Mermaid Lane. One of the original four divisions of Germantown Township. Named for the birthplace of Francis Daniel Pastorius, one of the principal founders of Germantown. 1689 Southbrook Park Vicinity of 28th Street, New Hope Street and Vare Avenue. 1980s South Central (R.D.A.) Bounded by Washington Avenue, Grays Ferry Avenue, Peltz Street, Schuylkill River, South Street, 27th Street, Lombard Street, 13th Street, South Street, 7th Street, Lombard Street, and the Delaware River 1968 Southeast Central (R.D.A.) Bounded by Lombard Street, Delaware River, Washington Avenue and Broad Street. Amended in 1963 by changing northern boundary to South Street 1948-1968 South Philadelphia South of South Street, between Delaware and Schuylkill Rivers. Southwark West of Pennsport from Mifflin Street to Washington Avenue, 4th to 8th Streets. 1762 Southwest Center City From Lombard Street to Oregon Avenue, Broad Street to Schuylkill River. 1976 Southwest Central (R.D.A.) Bounded by Pine Street, Broad Street, Washington Avenue, Grays Ferry Avenue, 34th Street and Schuylkill River. Enlarged to include Grays Ferry Avenue, Washington Avenue, 24th, Oakford, Taylor, Morris, 29th, Tasker, and 31st Streets, and the rear property lines of Tasker, 32nd, and Tasker Streets, and 34th Street, Reed Street, the Schuylkill River and 34th Street 1950-1968 Southwest Philadelphia Schuylkill River west to the city limits, below Baltimore Avenue. Southwest Schuylkill Above Elmwood, along Schuylkill River, in the vicinity of SEPTA's R3 railroad tracks. Spring Brook Northeast of Frankford and Cottman Avenues 1855 Springettsbury Manor From Vine Street to Willow Street, Delaware to Schuylkill Rivers. One of the original manors laid out for William Penn's use and named for his first wife, Gulielma Springett. Spring Garden North of Benjamin Franklin Parkway to Fairmount Avenue, Broad Street to Schuylkill River. 1813 Spruce Hill West of University of Pennsylvania, Locust Street to Woodlands Cemetery, to the vicinity of 46th Street. Squirrel Hill From Kingsessing Avenue to Windsor Avenue in the vicinity of 46th Street. Stanborough Vicinity of Frankford Avenue and Clearfield Street. Stanton Between Strawberry Mansion and Broad Street. 1970s Steinberg Village along Frankford Road, laid out by Robert Brook and G. W. Steinhauer. 1815 Stenton Between West Oak Lane and Ivy Hill, Mount Airy to Montgomery County. 1946 Stewards Glenn East of Normandy, west of Academy Road. 1980s Stonehouse Lane South of 5th and Ritner Streets. 1920 Strawberry Mansion East side of Schuylkill River and Fairmount Park, at 33rd and Diamond Streets. Named for 18th century mansion. early 20th century Strawberry Mansion (R.D.A.) Bounded by Lehigh Avenue, 29th Street, York Street, Amtrak, 33rd Street and Ridge Avenue 1962-1968 Summerdale East of Crescentville, between Roosevelt Boulevard, Langdon Street, and Oxford Avenue. 1970s Sunnycliff Also known as Hatshop Hill. Along Green Lane in Manayunk. before 1930 Sunville See Rising Sun. Swampoodle Junction of three railroad lines in the vicinity of Lehigh Avenue and 22nd Streets. before 1926 Tabor Site of Einstein Hospital. Named for biblical Mount Tabor. 1870s Tacony On Delaware River west to Frankford Avenue, between Holmesburg and Wissinoming. Early Swedish records spell it Taokanick, a Native word for "forest" or "wilderness." 1677 Taney From Pine to Bainbridge Streets, 25th Street west to Schuylkill River. 1980s Tenderloin name given to area around 9th & Race by police & media where many flophouses were located 1940s-1960s Temple (R.D.A.) Bounded by Susquehanna Avenue, 5th Street, Girard Avenue and Broad Street, enlarged to include Broad Street, 16th Street, Columbia (Cecil B. Moore) Avenue and Susquehanna Avenue, and also 5th Street, Germantown Avenue and Girard Avenue. 1948-1968 Terrapin Town. See Pleasantville. Texas Located in the vicinity of Swampoodle. 1840s Thayersville Located in the vicinity of Haddington. Tioga North of Allegheny Avenue at Broad Street, in the vicinity of Tioga Street. 1854 Torresdale Also known as Torrisdale. Located along the Delaware River between Holmesburg and Bucks County. Named by Charles Macalester for his Scotland home. 1850 Tortleberg See Pleasantville. Triangle (R.D.A.) Bounded by Spring Garden Street, Pennsylvania Avenue, 20th Street, Vine Street, 18th Street, Benjamin Franklin Parkway, West Penn Square, Market Street, and the Schuylkill River 1948-1963 Uberville Vicinity of Ridge Avenue, near Oxford Street. Udoravia See Manayunk. Unionville Village north of Feltonville. 1860s University (R.D.A.) Bounded by Market Street, Schuylkill River, South Street, Spruce Street, Woodland Avenue and 42nd Street. Enlarged 1962 - new boundaries were 44th Street, Baltimore Avenue, 43rd Street, Schuylkill River, Spring Garden Street, 31st Street and Powelton Avenue 1948-1963 University City The area between 38th and 40th Streets in the vicinity of the University of Pennsylvania and Drexel University. 1970s University City Core (R.D.A.) Bounded by Powelton Avenue, 38th Street, Lancaster Avenue, Powelton Avenue, 32nd Street, John F. Kennedy Boulevard, 32nd Street, Walnut Street, 33rd Street, Spruce Street, 294 feet west of 40th Street, Irving Street, 350 feet west of 40th Street, Locust Street, 376 feet west of 40th Street, Chancellor Street, 200 feet west of 40th Street, Walnut Street, and 40th Street. 1966 Upper Holmesburg Delaware River and Pennypack Creek, Frankford Avenue to Willits Road. 1976 Upper Roxborough Northwest of Roxborough, southeast of Andorra. 1970s Verreeville Also known of Verree's Mills. Northeast of Fox Chase in Bustleton. Named for John P. Verree, politician and mill owner. 1843-1910 Ville Hartwell Rex Avenue in the vicinity of Wissahickon Creek. 1855 Vineyard See Francisville. Volunteer Town Also known as Volunteertown. Located between Frankford and Fox Chase. Named for a tavern. 1843-1899 Walnut Forty-Two (R.D.A.) Bounded by 41st, Locust, 43rd and Sansom Streets 1967-1968 Walnut Hill Market to Locust Streets, 46th to 52nd Streets. 1980s Washington Square West of Society Hill from Market to South Streets. 1970s Washington Square West Located between 8th and Broad Streets in Center City, south of Market Street. 1970s Weccacoe Also known as Wicaco or Wichacomoca. Eastern half of South Philadelphia, originally a Native village. Name means "dwelling place." 18th century West End Vicinity of 61st Street and Larchwood Avenue. 1888-1895 West Falls See Whitestown. West Kensington Also known as Coopersville. Vicinity of Amtrak roadbed along American Street, between Front and 3rd Streets. (1861-1970 Westminster North of 52nd Street and Westminster Avenue. West Mount Airy North of Wissahickon Creek, east of Cresheim Creek, south of Germantown Avenue. 1970s West Oak Lane Stenton Avenue to Cheltenham Avenue, Broad Street towards Ivy Hill. Named by real estate developers. 1925 West Park Below River Park, near Belmont Reservoir, adjacent to Fairmount Park. 1980s West Philadelphia The part of Philadelphia located west of Schuylkill Avenue and north of Baltimore Avenue. West Philadelphia (R.D.A) Bounded by Girard Avenue, Parkside Avenue, Columbia Avenue, SEPTA's R6 railroad line, CONRAIL, 59th Street, Columbia Avenue, Lebanon Avenue, Cobbs Creek Park, SEPTA's R3 railroad line, 43rd Street, and Schuylkill River 1963 West Powelton Powelton Avenue to Lancaster Avenue, in the vicinity of 42nd Street. 1980s West Torresdale Near Morrell Park, adjacent to Northeast Philadelphia Airport. 1970s Wharton Along Wharton Street, west of Pennsport, east of Point Breeze. 1970s Wheat Sheaf Located in the vicinity of Bustleton and Cottman Avenues. 1899 Whitaker's Hollow See Cedar Grove. White Hall Borough northwest of Bridesburg, from the United States Arsenal west to Frankford Creek and Little Tacony Creek. 1849-1899 Whitestown Also known as West Falls. West side of Schuylkill River, opposite East Falls. Named for Josiah White's wire factory. 1820s Whitman South on Delaware River, below Pennsport, in the vicinity of 2nd and Wolf Streets. 1970s Whitman (R.D.A.) Bounded by Snyder Avenue, Swanson Street, Oregon Avenue, Front Street, Swanson Avenue, Bigler Street, right-of-way line of Delaware River Port Authority, Randolph Street, Oregon Avenue, and 6th Street 1957 Whitman Park Located south of Whitman, it is bounded by Oregon Avenue, Front, Porter and 3rd Streets. 1980s Wicaco Also known as Wischacomoca. See Weccacoe. Willow Grove West of Schuylkill River, south of Girard Avenue, east of Lancaster Avenue. 1808 Winchester Park Vicinity of Pennypack Park, north of Holmesburg. 1970s Wissahickon West of Wissahickon Creek, adjacent to Roxborough. 1910 Wissahickon Heights The section of Chestnut Hill west of Seminole Avenue and below Graver's Lane. Known later as Saint Martin's. 1880s - 1906 Wissinoming Along Delaware River, north of Bridesburg, east of Frankford. From the native term for "place where the grapes grew." 1895 Wister Bounded by Germantown Avenue, Belfield Avenue, Wister Street, and Chelten Avenue. 1970s Wood's Landing See Cooksocky. Woodvale Cottage East of Broad Street, south of Columbia Avenue. Wylietown Part of Francisville near plant of Keystone Watch Case Company, 19th and Wylie Streets. Wyndmoor Heights Development in eastern Chestnut Hill between Willow Grove Avenue and Springfield Avenue, west of SEPTA's R7 railroad line, around the intersection of Benezet and Ardleigh Streets. 1885-1890s Wynnefield West of Parkside Avenue, north of Lancaster Avenue, east of St. Joseph's University. Named for Thomas Wynne, William Penn's physician, who resided at 52nd Street and Woodbine Avenue. 1920s Wynnefield Heights On Montgomery County line at Belmont Avenue, to George's Hill Drive. 1970s Wyoming Villa Vicinity of D Street and Wyoming Avenue. Yorktown North of Poplar, west of Ludlow. 1960s
Links to related information...
--> PhILS Home
--->Philadelphia City Archives
Last updated on 20 May 1998