Philadelphia Information Locator ServiceThe majority of the names from this list are taken from Philadelphia Almanac and Citizens' Manual which was edited by Kenneth Finkel and published by the Library Company of Philadelphia in 1994 and 1995. It has been augmented by the staff of the Philadelphia City Archives.
Philadelphia Neighborhoods and Place Names, A-K
(R.D.A.) = Redevelopment Area.
Neighborhood Location Date of
Abbotsford South of 52nd Street and Baltimore Avenue. Abbottsford East of Schuylkill River on heights below Falls of the Schuylkill, approximately where North Laurel Hill Cemetery is located. Academy Gardens Vicinity of Willits Road and Pennypack Park. 1970s Achpoquesing See Poetquessing. Adelphi Along Indian Run, about 2 miles north of Haddington. Allegheny West East bank of Schuylkill River, from Allegheny to Glenwood Avenues, to railroad tracks. 1970s Andorra Beyond Roxborough, between Wissahickon Creek and Schuylkill River. Named for the European principality. 1861 Angora Vicinity of Cobbs Creek around Baltimore Avenue. Settled by David Callahan. 1861 Aramingo Also known as Gunner's Run. The former name is taken from the Native tumanaramingo, or "wolf walk"; the latter from a nearby creek. Located between Northern Liberties and Bridesburg. 1850 Aramingo (R.D.A.) Bounded by Orthodox Street, Delaware River, Venango Street and railroad tracks. 1948 Armentown Derogatory name for early settlement in Germantown. Art Museum Area See Fairmount. Arunnamink South of Woodland Avenue and west of Schuylkill River to Cobbs Creek. Ashton-Woodenbridge Also known as Ashton-Wooden Bridge. Vicinity of Northeast Philadelphia Airport, including Wooden Bridge Run west to Academy Gardens. 1970s Asoepek Native village, west of Frankford Creek. 17th century Aston Also known as Astenville or Five Points. Intersection of Monument, Falls and Ford Roads. (West Philadelphia) Babylon Village located 2 mile southeast of Byberry Meeting. Badlands, The Vicinity of 4th and Cambria Streets. Named by narcotics police and the media. 1991 Ball Town Also known as Balton. South of Port Richmond, where Cramp's Shipyard stood. 1808 Bankahoe North of Shackamaxon 17th century Baring North of Lancaster Avenue and 40th Street, south of Mantua. 1990 Bartram Gardens Also known as Bartram Village. Vicinity of 56th Street and Lindbergh Boulevard. 1980s Bath Town Also known as Bathtown and Rose of Bath. (1808). Vicinity of Germantown Road near Cohocksink Creek in present Northern Liberties. 1765 Bebberstown Also known as Beggarstown, Dogtown and Franklinville. Vicinity of Mennonite Church on Germantown Avenue between Gorgas Lane to Cliveden Street. Named for the Rev. Mathias van Bebber. Belfield Vicinity of Chelten and Olney Avenues, Wister Street and Ogontz Avenue. Named for the Belfield Mansion. 1980 Bella Vista Between 6th and 11th Streets, South Street to Washington Avenue. 1976 Bellevue Vicinity of Nicetown Lane and Westmoreland Street. Bell's Corner South of Pennypack Creek, north of Rhawnhurst, vicinity of Algon Avenue and Horrocks Street. 1980s Belmont West from Schuylkill River along Parkside Avenue and north to City Avenue. Named for the 1754 (extant) Peters family house in Fairmount Park. 1853 Bentley Above Philmont Avenue, at border of Montgomery and Bucks Counties. 1980s Black Bottom Vicinity of 40th and Market Streets, north and east to Haverford Avenue. Blockley Large township on the west bank of the Schuylkill River, north of Kingsessing Township. Name was applied to the almshouse erected on west bank of Schuylkill River which later became the Philadelphia General Hospital. 1705-1861 Blocks, The At foot of Hays Lane, in Manayunk. Blue Bell Woodland Avenue and Cobbs Creek. 1843 Blue Bell Hill Vicinity of Walnut Lane and Johnson Street, north of Wissahickon Creek. Bonnafon Vicinity of Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad Station along Cobbs Creek near Darby Road. Branchtown Named for the Branchtown Hotel, Old York Road near Church Lane. 1839-1910 Brewerytown East bank of Schuylkill River, north of Fairmount. 1920s Brickyard Irish section of Germantown. Bridesburg Also known as Kirkbridesburg. Located along Delaware River, north of Frankford Creek, it was named for ferry operator and bridge owner, Joseph Kirkbride. 1843 Brideton Vicinity of the east end of the Columbia Railroad Bridge, now in Fairmount Park. Bristol One of the original townships of Philadelphia. Bounded by Cheltenham Avenue, Ivy Hill Road, Stenton Avenue, Wister Street, Wingohocking and Tacony Creeks. 1696-1854 Burholme Vicinity of Cottman and Oxford Avenues and Verree Road. Named for the mansion on Cottman Avenue erected in 1860s. Bush Hill Between 12th and 19th streets, Vine Street to Fairmount Avenue; named for the mid-18th century house and estate owned by members of the Hamilton family. 1808 Bustleton Also known as Busseltown. Located west of Roosevelt Boulevard, north of Pennypack Creek, adjacent to Northeast Philadelphia Airport. Named after the mid-18th century Busselton Tavern. 1843 Butcherville Vicinity of Haddington. Byberry West of Roosevelt Boulevard, above Somerton Avenue to Bucks County line. Name of one of the original townships of Philadelphia County. Settled by Swedes, renamed by English. 1703 Byberry Cross Also known as Plumbsock. Junction of Byberry and Bensalem turnpikes. 1843-1861 Byberry Point Where Bensalem Road branches from Bustleton Avenue. 1843-1861 California Vicinity of Swampoodle Callowhill Vicinity of 2nd and Callowhill Streets. 1768 Camac's Woods 11th Street and Montgomery Avenue. Site for circuses, balloon ascensions, and athletic events. Named for Turner Camac's estate. 1850 Campington Vicinity of 2nd and Green Streets, where British troops camped in the 1750s. 1808 Carcus Hook Vicinity of 84th Street (Hook Road) and Buist Avenue, north of Eastwick. Carpenter's Island North of Hog Island. 1750 Carroll Park Between Lansdowne and Girard Avenues, from 52nd to 63rd Streets. 1970s Castor Vicinity of Castor and Cottman Avenues. 1980 Cedarbrook Vicinity of Wadsworth Avenue, Stenton to Cheltenham Avenues. 1970s Cedar Grove Also known as Helltown, Pleasantville. Vicinity of Limekiln Pike, above Washington Lane. Cedar Grove Also known as Whitaker's Hollow. Vicinity of Tacony Creek, Olney and Asylum Roads. Cedar Park Larchwood Avenue between 46th and 52nd Streets, south to SEPTA tracks. 1970s Center City The original city of Philadelphia between the Schuylkill and Delaware Rivers, Vine to South streets. Center City (R.D.A.) Schuylkill to Delaware Rivers, Spring Garden to South Streets. 1963 Chestnut Hill Northwestern Avenue to Cresheim Creek, Forbidden Drive to Stenton Avenue. 1704 Chinatown Also known as China Town. Arch to Vine Streets, from 8th to 11th Streets. First Chinese business opened on 10th Street in 1850. 1926 Chingihameng Included Society Hill and part of Northern Liberties. 1655 Clearview East of Cobbs Creek to Lindbergh Boulevard, between 78th & 84th Streets. 1888 Cloverhill West of Frankford, south of Tacony Creek and Juniata Parks. 1808 Cobbs Creek Vicinity of Cobbs Creek Park, from Baltimore Avenue to Market Street. 1970s Cohocksink Also known as Cohocksink Village. Located in the vicinity of 6th Street and Germantown Avenue. Taken from the Native cuweuhacsink, or "pine woods." 1843 College Avenue (R.D.A.) Bounded by Master Street, Broad Street, South College Avenue, Ridge Avenue and Girard Avenue. Enlarged to include area bounded by Master, Jefferson, Willington and Sydenham Streets 1960-1968 Collegeville Above Holmesburg, along Frankford Avenue, north of Pennypack Creek. 1843-1910 Comlyville Vicinity of Frankford Creek, site of a powder magazine. Cooksocky Also known as Wood=s Landing. Vicinity of East Falls, north of Mendenhall Ferry, on the west bank of the Schuylkill River. Coopersville See West Kensington. Coquanoc Also known as Coaquannock or Cuwequenaku. A native village which once occupied a portion of Center City. Corktown Irish section of West Philadelphia in the vicinity of Mantua. Country Lane West of Bustleton Avenue and Route 532. 1980s Cowtown Also known as Kellyville. Vicinity of Chelten Avenue and Morton Street, in the Wingohocking Valley. Creesam Name of an unofficial "township" which stretched from Carpenter Lane to Northwestern Avenue. See also Cresheim. 1734-1768 Crefelt Also known as Crefeld. Tract of Chestnut Hill north of Rex Avenue to Northwestern Avenue. 1690s Crescentville Also known as Grubtown or Grubbstown. Located in the vicinity of Adams, Rising Sun, and Tabor Avenues. Named for an early 19th century rope factory. 1843 Cresheim Also known as Creesam or Kriesheim. Section of Germantown and Mount Airy between Washington Lane and Mermaid Lane. 1690s - 1768 Crestmont Farms Located along Bucks County line, at Poquessing Creek. 1970s Cross Roads Vicinity of Byberry Road and Dunk's Ferry Road. 1843 Dearnley Park Located between Dearnley Street and Wigard Avenue, west of Ridge Avenue, in Roxborough. 1980s Delaware Name of a short-lived township located along the Delaware River in Northeast Philadelphia between Cottman Avenue and Poquessing Creek. 1852-1854 Devil's Pocket South of Lombard Street, east of 27th Street and north of Washington Avenue. Dogtown See Bebberstown. Doverville New name chosen for Roseville (over Goosetown, Geisseville, Bridgewater, and Christian Shore) by "respectable inhabitants" of village along Frankford Road, just below Frankford Creek. 1845 Dungan Hill Bustleton Avenue near Sandiford. Dunlap Vicinity of Haverford Avenue and Market Street, 46th to 52nd Streets. 1980s Dyottsville Vicinity south of Port Richmond. Named for the Dyott glass works. 1843 East Falls Formerly known as Falls of the Schuylkill, Falls Village. East side of Schuylkill River, about 2 mile south of the mouth of Wissahickon Creek. Named in the early 19th century for river rapids that disappeared after completion of the Fairmount Dam. 1946 East Germantown Germantown Avenue to Stenton Avenue in the vicinity of Chelten Avenue and Wister Street. East Mount Airy Mount Airy, east of Germantown Avenue. 1970s East Oak Lane Godfrey Avenue to Cheltenham Avenue, east of Broad Street. 1970s Eastwick Also known as Gladwyn. Northwest of Philadelphia International Airport, vicinity of Heintz National Wildlife Refuge. Named for Andrew M. Eastwick. 1946 Eastwick (R.D.A.) Bounded by 58th Street, Schuylkill River, Penrose Avenue, Philadelphia International Airport, Delaware County line, Woodland, Island, Passyunk and Dicks Avenue, and Lindbergh Boulevard. 1948 Einstein Southern (R.D.A) Bounded by 4th, Dickinson, 5th and Reed Streets 1966 Elmwood North of Eastwick, below Woodland Avenue. 1888 Evergreen South of South Street, east of Grays'= Ferry. 1808 Fackenland South of Frankford Creek. German for "fine land." 17th century Fairhill Front to 10th Streets, Cumberland Street to Allegheny Avenue. 1980s Fairmount Also known as the Art Museum Area. West of Broad Street, between Girard Avenue and Spring Garden Streets. 1970s Fairmount (R.D.A.) Bounded by Girard Avenue, Broad Street, Spring Garden Street, and Pennsylvania Avenue 1952-1968 Falls of the Schuylkill See East Falls Falls Village See East Falls Far Northeast East of Roosevelt Boulevard, north of Pennypack Creek. 1970s Feltonville South of Roosevelt Boulevard in the vicinity of Wyoming Avenue. 1855 Fenian Hill Section of Somerville in the vicinity of Church Lane and Limekiln Pike. Fernhill Vicinity of Wissahickon and Wayne Avenues from Manheim Street to Roosevelt Boulevard. 1980 Fern Rock Between Olney and Oak Lane. Northern terminus of Broad Street Subway. Named for the estate of Arctic explorer Elisha Kent Kane. 1899 Fisher's Hollow Vicinity of Frankford's Mill Creek on the Delaware River, reached by Fisher's Lane. Fishtown Along the Delaware River below Kensington. Legend has it that Charles Dickens named the neighborhood in 1842, but the use is primarily 20th century. 1920 Five Points See Ashton Five Points Vicinity of Castor and Oxford Avenues, northeast of Frankford. 1855-1910 Flat Iron South of Devil's Pocket. Flat Rock See Manayunk Forepaugh's Row South of Stenton Avenue and Wister Street, on Laveer Street, built as part of the winter quarters for Forepaugh's circus. late 19th century Fox Chase Southwest of Pennypack Park along Montgomery County border. Named for an inn whose sign depicted fox hunters. 1843 Fraleyville Vicinity of Frankford near former arsenal where in 1816 Frederick Fraley began manufacturing small arms and ammunition. 1843 Francisville Also known as Vineyard in 1808. South of Poplar Street and Ridge Avenue, where streets run perpendicular to Ridge. 1843 Frankford West of Bridesburg and Wissinoming, east of Roosevelt Boulevard. Settled by Germans. 17th century Franklintown Vine to Callowhill Streets in the vicinity of 17th Street. 1980s Franklinville Vicinity of Erie Avenue to Westmoreland Street, between Broad Street and Sedgley Avenue. 1888 Franklinville Vicinity of 3rd and Butler Streets. Franklinville See Bebberstown. Frog Hollow Site of Wister and Smith Mills, near Central High School. Gander Hill West of Swampoodle. Garden Court Locust Street to Hazel Avenue, 46th to 52nd Streets. Named after the Garden Court Apartment Building. Germantown Originally encompassing all of Northwest Philadelphia, northeast of Wissahickon Avenue (Township Line Road). Currently applied to area bounded by East Falls, Mount Airy, West Oak Lane, and Logan. Original center of area was at Germantown Avenue and Church Lane. 1683 Germantown (R.D.A.) Bounded on the north by SEPTA's R7 railroad line, on the northwest by Sedgwick Street, on the west of SEPTA's R8 railroad line, on the southwest by Rittenhouse Street & Wissahickon Avenue, on the south by Hansberry & Green Streets, on the southeast by Berkley Street, Germantown Avenue and SEPTA's R7 railroad line, and on the east by Wister, Belfield, Magnolia, Church and Magnolia Streets. 1963 Germany Hill Western portion of Roxborough from Parker Avenue to Fountain Street, Ridge Avenue to Schuylkill River. 1980 Gillietown Vicinity of 27th & Dauphin Streets. Girard Estate Between Porter Street and Passyunk Avenue. Named after Stephen Girard whose South Philadelphia property was developed by the Board of City Trusts, trustee of the Girard Estate. 1920s Girard Point Located at the mouth of the Schuylkill River, once known for massive grain elevators. Gladwyn See Eastwick. Glen Willow In Manayunk in the vicinity of The Blocks. Glenwood Vicinity of North Philadelphia Station to York Street. 1990 Goat Hill Germantown, east of Fenian Hill, in the vicinity of Somerville. Godfrey Village near Chelten Avenue and Wister Street. See also East Germantown. 1890s Good Intent Vicinity of 46th & Market Streets, site of the Good Intent Mills. 1849 Goosetown Locust to Pine Streets, 17th to 20th Streets. 1825-1850 Grays Ferry East bank of the Schuylkill River, between Point Breeze and South Street. 1970s Grays Ferry (R.D.A.) Bounded by Washington Avenue, Grays Ferry Avenue, Peltz Street, Schuylkill River, Reed Street, 34th Street, Tasker Street, 32nd Street, and the rear property lines of the houses on the south side of Tasker, 31st, Tasker, 29th, Morris, 25th, Tasker, Taylor, Reed and 25th Streets. 1968 Green Hill Northeast of Francisville, near 17th Street and Girard Avenue. 1808-1849 Greenland Village on west bank of the Schuylkill River near Ford Road. Greenville Vicinity of Powelton. 1843 Greenwich Island Also known as Greenwich Point. Formerly Drufwe Island, Isle de Raisins, or Grape Island, the east end of which jutted into Delaware River. 1843-1899 Grubtown Also known as Grubbstown. See Crescentville. Gunner's Run See Aramingo. Haddington North of Market Street between 65th & 70th Streets. 1816 Haddington (R.D.A.) Bounded by Haverford Avenue, Girard Avenue, 52nd Street, Market Street and 63rd Street 1961-1963 Hamilton Village Also known as Hamilton Ville, Hamiltonville. Schuylkill River at Market Street west to 36th Street, between Lancaster and Woodland Avenues. 1809-1843 Hamlet, The Attempt to settle a village on Pell Hill farm, in the vicinity of Girard College. 1811 Harisville On Old York Road above Rising Sun Avenue. Harper's Hollow Vicinity of 18th Street and Olney Avenue. Harrisburg Vicinity of Welsh and Ashton Roads. Started as a settlement for freed slaves. 1843-1910 Harrowgate. Vicinity of Venango Street and Kensington Avenue, between Kensington and Frankford. Named after a 1780s health resort established there. 1888 Hartranft Lehigh Avenue to Diamond Street, Broad to Fairhill Streets. 1970s Hartranft (R.D.A.) Moyamensing Avenue, 20th Street, Pattison Avenue and Penrose Ferry Road 1961 Hatshop Hill See Sunnycliff. Hawthorne Between southwest Center City and Bella Vista. 1970s Heartsville Vicinity of Frankford Avenue and Heart (now Hart) Lane, above Somerset Street. 1843 Hell's Kitchen North of Arch Street, west of 3rd Street. 1750 Helltown See Cedar Grove. Hestonville Along Lancaster Avenue south of George's Hill, the country seat, ca. 1800, of the Heston family. 1843 High Rue West of Roosevelt Boulevard, between Bustleton Avenue and Welsh Road. 1980s Hill, The Also known as Hill Community. African American section of Roxborough between Roxborough and Monastery Avenues, west of Manayunk Avenue. 1900 Hitesville See Jacksonville. Hollinsville Village at intersection of Bristol turnpike and road from Tacony below Holmesburg. 1843-1861 Holme Circle In the loop of Pennypack Creek at Holme Avenue and Welsh Road. 1980s Holmesburg Below Pennypack Creek, approximately at Rhawn Street and Frankford Avenue. Named for Thomas Holme, William Penn's surveyor, who settled there. 1843 Hopkinsville Vicinity of Haddington. Hunting Park South of Roosevelt Boulevard, east of Germantown Avenue, north of SEPTA's R7 railroad line. 1976 Independence Mall (R.D.A.) Race to Chestnut Streets between 4th & 7th Streets 1961 Irishtown See Somerville Irish Tract Vicinity of 18th & Wharton Streets Ivy Hill Vicinity of Ivy Hill Cemetery, north of East Mount Airy. 1980 Jacksonville Also known as Hitesville. South of Nicetown, vicinity of Germantown Avenue. 1861 Jewtown Vicinity of Auburn and Weikel Streets, in Richmond. 1870s-1940s Juniata Park Also known as Juniata. South of Frankford Creek at Hunting Park and north of SEPTA's R7 railroad line, between Feltonville and Richmond. 1946 Kelleyville See Cowtown. Kenderton Vicinity of Broad Street and Germantown Avenue. Named for Kenderton Smith, lawyer and landowner. 1808-1861 Kensington From Delaware River to Front Street, where Kensington Avenue bears northeast. Named by Anthony Palmer, an English sea captain. 1730 Kingsessing South of railroad tracks and Baltimore Avenue to Woodland Avenue, west to Cobbs Creek. From the Native term for "place where there is a meadow." 1712 King Village Also known as Kings Village. Between Point Breeze and Grays Ferry. 1980s Kirkbridesburg See Bridesburg. Knightsville On Byberry-Bensalem turnpike at Moreland Road. Named for Leonard and Judge Jonathan T. Knight. 1843 Knorr Vicinity of Oxford Avenue and Martins' Mill Road. 1843 Kriesheim See Cresheim.
Links to related information...
--> PhILS Home
--->Philadelphia City Archives
Last updated on 20 May 1998