Table Of Contents
3. Preparation, Adoption and Revision of Regulations
4. Exemptions from Civil Service
5. Classification Plan
6. Pay Plan
7. General Requirements for Applicants
10. Eligible Lists
11. Requisitions, Certification and Appointment
12. Limited-Term Appointments
13. Assignments and Transfers
14. Probationary Period
15. Resignation, Reinstatement, Restoration and Retirement
17. Dismissals, Demotions, Suspensions and Appeals
18. Hours of Work and City Service
20. Vacation Leave
21. Sick Leave
22. Leaves of Absence
23. Performance Reports
24. Working Conditions
25. Records and Reports
26. Training of Employees
27. Safety, Health, Welfare and Recreation
28. Labor Relations
29. Political Activity
30. Residence Requirement
31. Interim Regulations
32. Injury and Disability
33. Miscellaneous Regulations
The following words, terms or phrases as used in these Regulations, shall have the following meanings, unless otherwise clearly indicated in the text:
2.01 - ADMINISTRATIVE BOARD
- a committee of the Mayor's Cabinet, as established by Charter provisions, consisting of the Mayor, as chairman, the Managing Director, and the Director of Finance.
2.02 - ALLOCATION
- the assignment of a position to a class.
2.03 - APPOINTING OFFICER or APPOINTING AUTHORITY
- signifies the employer, supervisor, officer, board, commission, division or department head empowered by law or ordinance, or by lawfully delegated authority, to make appointments to positions in the City service or, in cases where delegation is not prohibited by Charter or law, such other persons as may properly be designated or empowered to act.
2.04 - APPROPRIATE, RELATED ELIGIBLE LIST
- an eligible list used to make appointments in the absence of a list for a class in which a vacancy exists. (See Regulation 10.05).
2.05 - CHARTER
- The Philadelphia Home Rule Charter adopted April 17, 1951.
2.06 - CIVIL SERVICE
- includes all offices and positions of the City service except those specifically exempted under Article VII, Section 7-301 of the Charter.
2.07 - CLASS or CLASS OF POSITIONS
- one or more positions so nearly alike that the same descriptive title may be used to designate each of them, that the same qualifications are required for the proper performance of the duties pertaining to them, that the same examination may be used in selecting competent persons to fill them, and that the same pay range and wage schedule can be applied equitably to all employees in the class.
2.08 - CLASS SPECIFICATION
- a formal statement which is descriptive, but not restrictive, of a class, containing the title of the position, a general statement of the duties and responsibilities of, typical examples of the duties performed by, and the minimum acceptable employment requirements for employees therein.
2.09 - CLASSIFICATION PLAN
- an orderly plan under which positions, on the basis of duties and responsibilities, are grouped into classes, series and/or services and grades; each class designated by a descriptive title and defined by a class specification.
2.10 - COMMISSION
- the Civil Service Commission of the City of Philadelphia.
2.11 - CONTINUOUS EXAMINATIONS (or CONTINUOUS TESTS)
- open competitive or promotional examinations for specified classes of positions held on a continuing basis without stipulated closing dates for filing of applications, permitting candidates to make application and to be administered such examinations on any day on which the test is given.
2.12 - DAY
- a calendar day.
2.13 - DEMOTION, INVOLUNTARY
- the reassignment of an employee with permanent Civil Service status, for just cause, from a position in one class to a position in another class for which a lower maximum rate of pay is prescribed.
2.14 - DEMOTION, VOLUNTARY
- the reassignment of an employee with permanent Civil Service status, except as specified in Regulation 17, with his or her consent, and the consent of the Director, from a position in one class to a position in another class for which a lower maximum rate of pay is prescribed.
2.15 - DEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL EXAMINATION
- a promotional examination limited to permanent Civil Service employees of the department for which the examination is announced.
2.16 - DIRECTOR
- The Director of the Office of Human Resources of the City of Philadelphia.
2.17 - ELIGIBLE
- any person whose name is on an eligible list.
2.18 - ELIGIBLE LIST
- an employment list of persons in rank order who have successfully competed in an open competitive or promotional examination or have Civil Service status on an employment list through layoff, disability, reclassification of their positions, or consolidation or abolishment of a class of positions.
2.19 - EMERGENCY APPOINTMENT
- an appointment for not longer than thirty (30) days made without reference to an eligible list in order to meet an emergency situation or to prevent the serious impairment of public business.
2.20 - EMPLOYEE
- includes employee and officer in the Civil Service. The singular shall include the plural, the plural shall include the singular, and the masculine shall include the feminine.
2.21 - EQUIVALENT POSITION CHANGE
- a reassignment of an employee from a position in one class to a position in a comparable class in the same salary range and having substantially the same minimum qualification requirements, skills, aptitudes or abilities.
2.22 - EXAMINATIONS
- all tests, taken together, that are used to determine the fitness of applicants for positions of any class.
2.23 - INTERDEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL EXAMINATION
- a promotional examination open to permanent Civil Service employees of all departments who meet the announcement requirements.
2.24 - LAYOFF
- the removal of an employee from his position because of lack of work, lack of funds, or because of a change in departmental organization resulting in abolishment of one or more positions.
2.25 - LAYOFF LIST
- list of persons who have Civil Service status in a specific class of work, but who are not working in such class because of layoff or service-connected disability.
2.26 - OPEN COMPETITIVE LIST
- an eligible list of names of persons who have passed an open competitive examination for a particular class of position and whose names are ranked on the list in the order prescribed in these Regulations.
2.27 - OPEN COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION
- any examination open to all persons, whether employed by the City or not, who meet and comply with prescribed requirements for admission thereto.
2.28 - PAY PLAN
- a schedule of compensation rates established for the classes of positions included in the Classification Plan.
2.281 - EXECUTIVE AND PROFESSIONAL PAY PLAN
- the pay schedule and classes assigned to that schedule used for classes which have been assigned to the District Council 47 bargaining unit.
2.282 - MANDATORY PAY PLAN
- the pay schedule and classes assigned to that schedule used for classes which have been designated as Mandatory with respect to inclusion in the District Council 33 bargaining unit.
2.283 - DEPUTY SHERIFF PAY PLAN
- the pay schedule used for the classes of Deputy Sheriff, Deputy Sheriff Officer, Deputy Sheriff Sergeant and Deputy Sheriff Lieutenant.
2.284 - N PAY PLAN
- the pay schedule used for classes assigned to Local 2186 of District Council 47 and for non-represented employees.
2.29 - PAY RANGE
- the minimum and maximum pay rates, together with the intermediate rates, if any, established for a class.
2.30 - PAY RANGE ADJUSTMENT
- any change in the rates of pay applicable to a pay range.
2.31 - PAY RANGE DETERMINATION
- the assignment of a class to a pay range.
2.32 - PAY RANGE REDETERMINATION
- assignment of a class to a different pay range, whether higher or lower, on the basis of a re-evaluation of pay factors appropriate to the class. (Pay Range Redeterminations do not result in a change in class title.)
2.33 - PERMANENT CIVIL SERVICE STATUS
- the rights and privileges granted to an employee who has successfully completed his probationary period following Civil Service test and certification.
2.34 - POSITION
- a group of duties and responsibilities assigned or delegated by competent authority, requiring the full or part-time employment of one person.
2.36 - PROBATIONARY PERIOD
- a working test period considered an integral part of the examination process during which a new appointee is required to demonstrate his fitness for the position to which he has been appointed by actual performance of the duties of the position. Persons appointed to positions as a result of open competitive or promotional examinations, or who are reinstated, must serve a probationary period.
2.37 - PROMOTION
- the advancement of an employee from a position of one class to a position of another class of higher rank involving more responsible duties and a higher pay range.
2.38 - PROMOTIONAL EXAMINATION
- a competitive examination limited to permanent Civil Service employees who meet the announced minimum requirements.
2.39 - PROMOTIONAL LIST
- an eligible list of names of persons who have passed a promotional examination for a particular class of position and whose names are ranked on the list in the order prescribed in these Regulations.
2.40 - PROVISIONAL APPOINTMENT
- an appointment for not longer than ninety (90) days in any twelve month period, in the absence of an eligible list, of a person who meets the minimum qualifications for the class and who has not been qualified for City employment through the established examination and certification procedures.
2.41 - REALLOCATION
- a change in allocation of a position by assigning the position to a different class on the basis of a re-evaluation of, or changes and variations in the duties and responsibilities of the position. (Reallocation usually results in a different class title for the position.)
2.42 - RESTORATION
- the action by which an employee with permanent Civil Service status who has vacated his position to accept another position as a probationary or provisional appointee is returned to his vacated position following rejection during the probationary period or termination of the provisional appointment.
2.43 - SALARY ADJUSTMENT ANNIVERSARY DATE
- the date on which an employee may become eligible for an earned pay step increase.
2.44 - SEASONAL APPOINTMENT
- an appointment to a position requiring an incumbent only during certain parts of the year at recurring, annual or other periods.
2.45 - STANDARD INCREMENT
- the pay step differential obtained by subtracting the first step rate from the second step rate in a pay range.
2.46 - SUSPENSION
- an employee's temporary and involuntary separation from City employment for a disciplinary purpose or pending investigation of charges made against the employee.
2.47 - TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT
- an appointment for not longer than six months in any twelve (12) month period to a position established for a short limited period.
2.48 - TRANSFER
- a reassignment of an employee from one position to another position in the same class.
2.49 - WORK DAY
- shall be considered to be a period of eight (8) hours.
2.50 - FLEXIBLE WORK SCHEDULE
- an approved work schedule which permits the adjustment of the daily hours worked within a flexible band and specifies the minimum core work hours required per day.
2.51 - SELECTIVE FACTOR
- a selective factor is a knowledge, skill or ability approved by the Civil Service Commission that is essential for satisfactory performance on the job and represents an addition to the basic standards for a position.
2.54 - PERFORMANCE-BASED COMPENSATION SYSTEM
- a compensation plan approved by the Civil Service Commission by which an employee's compensation and eligibility for increases are determined within formal performance guidelines and comparatio control.
2.55 - CAREER ADVANCEMENT LIST
- a departmental eligible list used for in-place promotion to a class within a career advancement series.
2.56 - CAREER ADVANCEMENT SERIES
- a designated class series, represented by District Council 47 or District Council 33, which includes an entry level, in some cases an intermediate level(s), and a full-performance level. Incumbents of such classes may be promoted in place within the series, as they gain experience and are able to perform assignments of increased difficulty, provided that
The employee will serve a probationary period in the Career Advancement class as required in the Civil Service Regulations. Career Advancement promotions shall be effective on the anniversary date of the employee's appointment in the first level class, provided, however, that Career Advancement promotions may be delayed by the City until the beginning of the fiscal year following that on which the appointments are required in the event that funding is unavailable to make the appointments, and provided that the date of appointment and remuneration for the appointment shall be retroactive to the effective date as defined herein. An employee whose application for Career Advancement is not received by the Personnel Department within three (3) months of the Career Advancement eligibility date will not be eligible for retroactive payment for the time period between the eligibility date and the date of the Career Advancement promotion.
- the employee submits an application for Career Advancement,
- the employee has achieved an overall performance report of Satisfactory or better, on the performance report of record,
- time in grade requirements have been met,
- no disciplinary suspension of one day or greater has been initiated against the employee since the last performance report, and
- the employee is not on the Excessive Use of Sick Leave list.
2.57 - FLEXIBLE BENEFITS PLAN
- a benefits plan that permits non-represented employees to select health-welfare benefits from among a variety of specified options.
2.58 - CAREER ADVANCEMENT SERIES / NON-REPRESENTED EMPLOYEES
- a designated class series in the non-represented category, which includes an entry level, in some cases an intermediate level(s) and a full-performance level. Incumbents of such classes may be promoted in place within the series as they gain experience, are able to perform assignments of increased difficulty and meet the criteria for non-represented career advancement recommended by the Personnel Director and approved by the Civil Service Commission.
2.59 - FURLOUGH
- placing an employee temporarily in a non-pay, non-duty status because of lack of work or lack of funds or other economic reasons as determined by the Finance Director.
Philadelphia Civil Service Regulations
Transmittal no.342 (Sept-15-2014)