City of Philadelphia

Customer Information

Becoming a Customer


What if I am a new property owner?
If you are a new property owner, you should take the following steps to receive water service:

  • If your deed is recorded, your account will be updated and you will begin to receive bills in your name.
  • If your deed is not recorded and it is essential that you receive the bill in your name, present your settlement sheet to the Water Revenue Bureau (Bureau).
  • If there is no meter on the property, a meter must be installed within 30 days after the settlement date.

What if I am a tenant?
If you are a tenant, you may apply for water service in your name by bringing the following documents to a Customer Service location:

  • Consent from the owner for you to have service in your name
  • Two (2) pieces of personal I.D., one with a photo
  • Proof of residency, such as a lease, rent book or canceled check
  • Utility bills in your name
  • A water meter reading If there is no meter on the property, a meter must be installed before the application is approved.

What if I am an occupant?
If you are an occupant (a potential owner of the property or a person who has permission to live in the property without a lease), you may take the following steps to receive water service:

  • Complete an application at a Customer Service location near you
  • Present evidence of occupancy or potential ownership Evidence includes:
    • Death Certificate of Owner
    • Utility Bills
    • Lease Purchase Agreements
    • Letter of Authorization to occupy property
    • Other legal documentation If there is no meter on the property, a meter must be installed before the application is approved.

Rights & Responsibilities


What are my rights as a customer?


You have the right to fair service provided by courteous and efficient employees. Your personal information is kept confidential and you are given the necessary assistance to understand your water and sewer billing.


What are my responsibilities?

  • You are responsible for paying your bill on time.
  • You are responsible for giving the City Representative access to your water meter.
  • You must keep your meter in good condition.
  • You are responsible for reporting dangerous conditions such as leaks and damaged pipes by calling (215) 685-6300.
  • You must inform the Bureau of any change in your billing or mailing address by calling (215) 686-6880.

Termination of Service


Why would my services be shut off?
Your water and sewer service may be shut off if:

  • You do not pay your water and sewer bill on time. Before your service is shut off, the Water Revenue Bureau (Bureau) will send you one or more of the following notices:
  1. Past Due Notice - This is the first notice sent to you when your payment is late. When you receive this notice, you can either pay the entire amount due or schedule payment arrangements.
  2. Shut Off Notice I - This is the second notice that will be sent to you. It warns you that your water and sewer services may be shut off if you do not pay your bill.
  3. Shut Off Notice 2 - This is the final notice that will be sent to you. It warns you that your water and sewer services will be shut off if payment is not received by the specified date.
  • You have denied access to the Bureau for reading or repairing your meter
  • Emergencies or health and safety violations have occurred
  • A customer application is found to be based on a false identity or false information

Can I get my service turned on again?
Whenever possible, the Water Department will turn your water and sewer service back on within 24 hours after you have made satisfactory payment or payment plan. This only applies when service is shut off for non payment.


Can I discontinue services permanently?
When you no longer need water and sewer services, you must:

  • Obtain a Discontinuance Permit from the Department of Licenses and Inspections; and
  • Pay the fee for the Discontinuance Permit A Discontinuance Permit stops billing at your property permanently from the date of the permit

What if I am sick and need my services?
The Water Revenue Bureau (Bureau) can delay the shut-off of your services if:

  • You call or write a letter to the Bureau stating the following:
    1. The shut-off will prevent you from getting better.
    2. You understand that your service will be shut off at the end of the delay period if you have not paid your entire bill or entered into a payment agreement.
  • You give the Bureau an official doctor's note stating that you have a serious illness and how long it will take you to get better.