CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
This is routine manual work washing windows. Employees in this class may be required to employ ladders and electric, exterior scaffolds in order to clean areas which are at considerable heights above the ground level and which are
not otherwise accessible. Work involves conditions which can be only partially controlled, and requires light physical
efforts. Work performed under the supervision of a higher level window washer or other custodial supervisor.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Washes various-sized windows in city buildings with water or cleaning solution, and brush; washes partitions and transoms; dries glass with a squeegee or chamois; may assemble and dismantle ladders or scaffolds as required; uses a ladder, wears a safety belt, or works from a hi-ranger or electric exterior scaffold when working above the ground floor; checks and adjusts cleaning and safety equipment.
- Cleans ledges and other exterior building features in proximity to windows being cleaned with brush, broom and cleaning solutions.
- Reports needed repairs to supervisor, such as broken glass, defective window frames, and defective safety devices and equipment.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the materials, equipment, and methods used in window washing.
- the occupational hazards in window washing and of the safety precautions used.
- erect, dismantle and work on ladders and scaffolds placed at considerable heights above ground level.
- make adjustments to cleaning equipment.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 5/81.)
- Education equivalent to completion of the eighth school grade.
- One year of experience in custodial work, which has included six months washing windows at considerable heights above ground floor level.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as a Window Washer.
PAY RANGE: 9
Class Established: 1/1953
Latest Spec. Revision: 4/1987
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7D31