CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
TREE MAINTENANCE HELPER
This is semi-skilled and manual work assisting in pruning, feeding, spraying, planting, transplanting, cabling and treating city trees. Employees initially work on the ground operating a woodchipper and working with small hand and power tools, and as experience is gained employees are expected to develop the knowledges and skills necessary to climb trees, employ ropes and ladders to assist in the above tree maintenance tasks.
Work is performed under the continuous supervision of a crew chief or skilled tree maintenance worker. Work is performed under conditions which can be only partially controlled and requires the exercise of strenuous physical exertion.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Uses pole shears, pruning saws, axes and other cutting tools to prune trees and clean pruned branches; operates and feeds branches into chipper.
- Operates power augers and sprayers to fertilize and spray trees; removes insects and fungus from trees using wire brushes.
- Uses ropes, pulleys and cables to remove tree branches, cables trees and braces trees with split or cracked crotches; applies tree paint or other solutions to pruned or damaged trees.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the principles and practices of grounds and turf maintenance.
- the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the care of park grounds.
- the common characteristics of plants and vegetation.
- the operation of power and hand tools.
- learn the methods, practices and tools used in tree maintenance work.
- perform a variety of manual tasks.
- perform heavy manual labor for an extended period, often under adverse climatic conditions.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 11/1988.)
- Education equivalent to completion of the tenth school grade.
- One year of experience in grounds maintenance caring for park or landscaped areas.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 9
Class Abolished: 10/1986
Latest Spec. Revision: 11/1988
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7N20