Sign In
City of Philadelphia

Reporting License and Permit Violations to 311 & How to Submit Supplemental Info

How to Submit Supplemental Info

To make a complaint about an unlicensed contractor or construction work being done without valid permits, use 311 online or call 311 (215-686-8686, if outside Philadelphia). You can then email
to submit additional information that supports your complaint. 

L&I's Audits and Investigations Unit will review the additional information, along with your 311 complaint, to determine whether further action is warranted. Typically, this review will take at least 30 days to complete. 

Information sent to will not be accepted if you have not first made a 311 complaint about the unlicensed contractor or missing permits. When sending the information, please be sure to provide the:
  • 311 Case Number
  • Address of property where work is being done
  • Telephone number and/or email address where you can be reached

If you wish to report contractor fraud, breach of contract, and/or failure to honor a homeowner’s warranty, you can contact the Philadelphia District Attorney's office at (215) 686-9881 or, the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Bureau of Consumer Protection at (215) 560-2402 or, or a private attorney. The Philadelphia Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service at (215) 238-6333 can help you locate a private attorney.

Always DIAL 911 DIRECTLY to report an emergency.

Thank you for your interest in making construction projects in Philadelphia safe, secure, and compliant with City permitting and licensure laws.