City of Philadelphia

Termination of Service


Why would my services be shut off?
Your water and sewer service may be shut off if:

  • You do not pay your water and sewer bill on time. Before your service is shut off, the Water Revenue Bureau (Bureau) will send you one or more of the following notices:
  1. Past Due Notice - This is the first notice sent to you when your payment is late. When you receive this notice, you can either pay the entire amount due or schedule payment arrangements.
  2. Shut Off Notice I - This is the second notice that will be sent to you. It warns you that your water and sewer services may be shut off if you do not pay your bill.
  3. Shut Off Notice 2 - This is the final notice that will be sent to you. It warns you that your water and sewer services will be shut off if payment is not received by the specified date.
  • You have denied access to the Bureau for reading or repairing your meter
  • Emergencies or health and safety violations have occurred
  • A customer application is found to be based on a false identity or false information

Can I get my service turned on again?
Whenever possible, the Water Department will turn your water and sewer service back on within 24 hours after you have made satisfactory payment or payment plan. This only applies when service is shut off for non payment.


Can I discontinue services permanently?
When you no longer need water and sewer services, you must:

  • Obtain a Discontinuance Permit from the Department of Licenses and Inspections; and
  • Pay the fee for the Discontinuance Permit A Discontinuance Permit stops billing at your property permanently from the date of the permit

What if I am sick and need my services?
The Water Revenue Bureau (Bureau) can delay the shut-off of your services if:

  • You call or write a letter to the Bureau stating the following:
    1. The shut-off will prevent you from getting better.
    2. You understand that your service will be shut off at the end of the delay period if you have not paid your entire bill or entered into a payment agreement.
  • You give the Bureau an official doctor's note stating that you have a serious illness and how long it will take you to get better.