SEARCH  
PhILS banner
Series banner

Housing Coordinator;
Development Coordinator

[Record Group 60-16-1]

60-16-1.1 Annual Reports
1954, 1961, 1963-1965
5 volumes,
Location: City Archives, 3101 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
60-16-1.2 Files
1954-1970
127 cu.ft.,
Includes general correspondence, and correspondence with City Departments, the Managing Director's Office, the Philadelphia Housing and Redevelopment Authorities, the Federal Housing Administration, community organizations, such as Germantown Homes, Inc., Germantown Community Council, Colonial Germantown, Inc., and Grays Ferry Community Council; relocation correspondence and memos 1961-1963; budget materials; area development plans, cost studies, contracts; invitations; departmental reports to the Mayor; relocation reports, 1965-1968; reports on the following topics: new approaches to urban renewal for Philadelphia 1957; program for the use of use of existing structures for public housing 1962; advantages of a centralized relocation operation 1964; Redevelopment Authority estimates of relocation needs and resources 1966-1971; relocation statistics, Community Improvement Workable Program files, 1960-1964, community proposals, staff meeting minutes; minutes of meetings of the Center City Coordinating Committee (composed of representatives of the City Planning Commission (CPC), Department of Streets, Independence National Historical Park, Old Philadelphia Development Corporation (OPDC), Redevelopment Authority (RDA), Philadelphia Industrial Development Corporation (PIDC), and Development Coordinator's Office), 1963-1966; minutes of the Small Inter-Agency Committee on Housing (composed of representatives of the CPC, Philadelphia Housing Authority (PHA), RDA, Department of Licenses & Inspections (L&I), office of the Development Coordinator, and Commission on Human Relations), 1962-1966 and its Research Subcommittee, 1959-1963; and Community Relations Subcommittee 1959; and files on the following subjects: Center City policy statement and studies; community renewal programs; the U.S. Conference of Mayors; the Food Distribution Center; hospitals; redevelopment areas, including the University of Pennsylvania, Drexel University, and Washington Square areas; Penn Jersey Transportation Study; City and State taxes; urban renewal policies and inquiries; slum clearance; zoning complaints; a proposed zoning amendment; Diagnostic Social Survey of 1968; leasing program; relocation of public housing; the Spread Site Selection Committee for Public Housing, 1960-1964; vacant house program; emergency housing; title insurance; housing for families on Public Assistance; the American Jewish Committee Project, 1865-1966; the Community Renewal Program of the Citizens' Advisory Committee, 1962-1965; Philadelphia Board of Realtors; the Young Great Society; Youth Conservation Commission; Urban Coalition; Pennsylvania Housing Agency; Schuylkill Council for Improvement; Powelton Village Development Corporation; the Housing Information Service; PHA turnkey sites. There are also included files of the Assistant Housing Director, Renewal Specialist, and Deputy Development Coordinator 1961-1963, 1969-1970.
Location: City Archives, 3101 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
60-16-1.3 Leadership Program - Evaluation Project Files
1955-1960
23 cu.ft.,
Undertaken in 1954, Philadelphia's Leadership Program was an experiment designed to find out whether housing and neighborhood renewal could be achieved through citizen influence supported by existing local resources. Four areas of widely varying characteristics were selected as Leadership Areas. These included Haddington, Morton, East Poplar, and Hawthorne. In 1956, the federal Urban Renewal Administration gave the City a 3-Year Demonstration Grant to make possible a full-scale evaluation of the Leadership Program experiment. The City's contribution was to be made up largely of "before-after" APHA (American Public Health Association) survey work by the Department of Public Health with time allocated by the Development Coordinator and his staff.

The files of the program include correspondence and accounting files of the Development Coordinator relating to the Leadership project (also known as the 314 Program). Also included are code enforcement data, building permit & rent control data, census statistics, ownership/occupancy of land/structure inventories, APHA survey arrangements, hearings data from within the affected areas, block organization questionnaires, opinion attitude surveys, tabulations of data, field surveys undertaken by APHA in 1956 and resurveys by the Development Coordinator in 1959. Magistrates' lists from 1956-1958 and notices from the Board of Licenses & Inspections Review from 1955-1958 contain notes relative to properties within the project areas. A number of reports were prepared by the Departments of Public Health and Licenses & Inspections on housing and neighborhood conditions within the various leadership areas between 1955 and 1959. Two sets of reports detail the leadership program and summarize its accomplishments.
For similar records relating to housing and environmental surveys, see Record Series 80.40, 80.41, and 80.42.
Location: City Archives, 3101 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104


60-16-1.4 Community Development Administration. First Year Community Block Grant Prgram
1975
1 volume,
Includes a description of the Program and information on housing and residential renewal, economic and job development, neighborhood facilities, and public services funded by the Program, special projects for the elderly and handicapped, open space-urban beautification, and Program management. Report issued in October 1975.
Location: City Archives, 3101 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Click on a folder or file to return to that level...
PhILS Home
City Agencies
Housing Coordinator;
Development Coordinator
[60-16-1]
Record Series Information Sheet. (Text-only version of this page)

Send your comments to phils@phila.gov
Last updated on November 8, 2000