Philadelphia Information Locator Service
Philadelphia Committee for the Relief of Traffic Congestion[Record group 174]
- This committee has ceased to function.
- Agency History
- This committee was established as a special committee by resolution of City Council, approved July 5, 1945, in order to study and prepare a formal report to City Council of any and all suggestions and recommendations which, in the judgment of the Committee, would enable City Council to proceed with the consideration and adoption of alterations in the existing traffic regulations or new legislation looking toward permanent relief and improvement of existing traffic congestion in the area bounded by Spring Garden and South Streets and the Delaware and Schuylkill Rivers. The Committee of Public Safety of City Council was to meet with the Committee for the Relief of Traffic Congestion in preparation of the report to City Council and to hold public meetings when the report was submitted in preparation of legislative action by Council. The Committee consisted of representatives, chosen by the Chief of the Bureau of Traffic Engineering, from the following named business, tranportation and civic groups: Philadelphia Transportation Company, Yellow Cab Company, Keystone Automobile Club, Automobile Club of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Motor Truck Association, Philadelphia Merchants' Association, Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce and Board of Trade,Bureau of Police, and Philadelphia Real Estate Board. The Chief of the Bureau of Traffic Engineering served as Chairman of the Committee. The Committee was superseded and its duties assumed by the Philadelphia Highway Traffic Board under the ordinance approved June 2, 1948, which established the latter.
- Archival Records
- 174.1 Minutes (July 19, 1945-March 3, 1948)
174.2 Annual Reports in manuscript (1947)
174.3 Correspondence and Papers (1945-1948)
Links to related information...
---->Current Agency Information Sheet. (Graphical version of this page)
Send your comments to email@example.com
Last updated on July 9, 1999