Philadelphia Information Locator Service
Hospitals and Higher Education Facilities Authority of Philadelphia[Record group 173]
- Alternative/Former Names
- Hospitals Authority of Philadelphia
- Agency History
- This agency was created as a corporate body by an ordinance of City Council on January 28, 1974 pursuant to the Act of Assembly of May 2, 1945, P. L. 382 and chartered by the Pennsylvania Bureau of Corporations on February 19, 1974. It is under the direction of a board of at least five unpaid members, appointed by an affirmative vote of two-thirds of all members of City Council from nominations made by the Mayor. Members of the Board are appointed for staggered five year terms. The authority is a body politic which may acquire, hold, construct, improve, maintain, operate, own and lease hospitals in the capacity of either lessor or lessee. The authority finances its operations through the issuance of bonds.
An ordinance of City Council of 16 March 1979 expanded its powers to cover religious or hospital affiliated subacute care facilities. An ordinance of 23 March 1983 changed the name of the authority to the Hospitals and Higher Education Facilities Authority of Philadelphia and expanded its powers to cover buildings and facilities for private, nonprofit, nonsectarian colleges and universities, State-related universities and community colleges which are determined by the Authority to be eligible educational institutions, provided that such buildings and facilities for such institutions shall have been approved by ordinance and resolution of the Council of the City of Philadelphia adopted after a public hearing thereon conducted by a duly designated Committee of the Council.
- Archival Records
- 173.1 Annual Reports (1976-1978, 1988, 1990-1995)
- Current Records
Links to related information...
---->Current Agency Information Sheet. (Graphical version of this page)
Send your comments to email@example.com
Last updated on July 9, 1999