Table Of Contents
. . .
- Preparation, Adoption and Revision of Regulations
- Exemptions from Civil Service
- Classification Plan
- Pay Plan:
- General Requirements for Applicants
- Eligible Lists
- Requisitions, Certification and Appointment
- Limited-Term Appointments
- Assignments and Transfers
- Probationary Period
- Resignation, Reinstatement, Restoration and Retirement
- Dismissals, Demotions, Suspensions and Appeals
- Hours of Work
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Leaves of Absence
- Performance Reports
- Working Conditions
- Records and Reports
- Training of Employees
- Safety, Health, Welfare and Recreation
- Labor Relations
- Political Activity
- Residence Requirement
- Interim Regulations
- Injury and Disability
- Miscellaneous Regulations
. . .
return to Personnel Home Page
6. PAY PLAN
(continued, 6.115 to 6.11999)
- 6.115 - SPECIAL COMPENSATORY OR OVERTIME PAY CATEGORIES.
- 6.1151 - Discretionary Granting of Compensatory Time or Overtime Pay.
Employees whose positions are allocated to the following classes, whose annual salary does not exceed the maximum rate of pay of Pay Range 17 may, at their discretion, be granted compensatory time off on an hour for hour basis for overtime worked, in lieu of cash pay for such overtime under the provisions of this Regulation:
- Vector Control Crew Chief
- Park Trolley Guide Supervisor
- 6.1152 - Compensatory Time or Overtime Pay After Forty Hours.
Employees whose positions are allocated to the following classes of position shall not receive overtime pay or compensatory time off for time worked in excess of eight (8) hours in any work day, but such employees shall receive overtime pay or, at the option of the employee, compensatory time off for time worked in excess of forty (40) hours in the employee's work week:
- Human Relations Representative
- Human Relations Trainee
- 6.1154 - Limitation on Accumulated Compensatory Time.
No employee under the provisions of Subsections 6.1151 and 6.1152 of this regulation, may accumulate or have to his credit at any time eligibility under this Section for compensatory time in excess of the one hundred and twenty (120) hours, provided however, that the limitation of one hundred and twenty (120) hours shall not include any holiday compensatory time to which an employee may be entitled. Any employee's accumulated eligibility for compensatory hours for which he has not been granted compensatory time off prior to fourteen (14) days before the date of his separation from service shall be granted during the fourteen (14) days prior to his separation from service. (Also refer to Sections 6.117, 20.085 and 20.087)
- 6.1155 - Overtime Eligibility for Special Approved Work Weeks.
Employees in the following classes and agencies who, in accordance with an approved Hours of Work Schedule, are scheduled to work in excess of forty (40) hours during one week of an eighty-hour two-week pay period shall not receive overtime pay for such time worked in excess of forty (40) hours or for the sixth (6th) day worked in a work week. For the purposes of overtime premium pay for said employees, the first scheduled days off during a pay period shall be the Saturday scheduled off and the first weekday scheduled off and the second scheduled days off during a pay period shall be the Sunday scheduled off and the second weekday scheduled off.
- Institutional Registered Nurse:
- Health Department
Philadelphia Nursing Home
- Institutional Care Aide:
- Health Department
Philadelphia Nursing Home
- Practical Nurse:
- Health Department
Philadelphia Nursing Home
- 6.1156 - Compensatory Time Earned during Leave of Absence in Exempt Positions.
Employees appointed to exempt positions while on leave of absence from a Civil Service position shall, upon reinstatement to Civil Service, be credited with all accumulated compensatory time which has been earned but unused up to the maximum allowed in these regulations.
- 6.1157 - Temporary Overtime Rate for Building Plans Examination Engineers in Licenses and Inspections.
Other provisions of the Regulations notwithstanding, employees in the following classes may elect to be compensated in cash for all hours worked in excess of eighty (80) hours in a pay period or for all hours in excess of the daily flexitime band:
Employees occupying positions in the Building Plans Examination Engineer I class will be compensated at one and one-half (1_1/2) times the
maximum rate of pay range EP 17 for all overtime hours worked. Employees occupying positions in the Building Plans Examination Engineer II class will be compensated at one and one-half (1_1/2) times the maximum rate of pay range EP 19 for all overtime hours worked.
- Building Plans Examination Engineer I
- Building Plans Examination Engineer II
- 6.11571 - The purpose of this regulation is to alleviate a critical situation in the building plans examinations unit of the Department of Licenses and Inspections. The Commissioner of Licenses and Inspections shall review the situation on a monthly basis, and certify to the Personnel Director whether a critical situation continues to exist by submitting the reports detailed below and any other relevant information requested by the Personnel Director. The Personnel Director shall determine on a monthly basis whether Section 6.1157 will remain in effect. The regulation will remain in effect only for so long as the critical situation continues to exist, but shall not remain in effect beyond twelve (12) months after its approval by the Civil Service Commission unless reconfirmed by the Commission upon the recommendation of the Personnel Director.
- 6.11572 - The appointing authority shall submit a monthly report of building plans examinations activities to the Managing Director and the Personnel Director. This report shall include all overtime hours worked by employees in the subject classes, all leave used by employees in these classes during the month, the number of plans reviewed by each employee during the month, the backlog of plans to be reviewed at the end of the month, and any other relevant information requested by either the Director or Managing Director.
- 6.11573 - Employees in the subject classes may elect to be credited with compensatory time off in lieu of cash for overtime worked under the above provisions. Compensatory time will be granted at the rate of one and one-half (1_1/2) hours of compensatory time for each hour of overtime worked.
- 6.1158 - Overtime Eligibility for Flextime Participants in the Department of Licenses and Inspections
Employees in District Council 33 represented classes in the Department of Licenses and Inspections who are assigned to a unit where a flextime work
schedule has been adopted and who voluntarily elect to participate in the flextime work schedule commencing on or after May 9, 1994 shall not be eligible to receive overtime pay for time worked in excess of eight (8) hours in any scheduled flex-work day between the hours of 7 AM through 6:30 PM while assigned on that schedule. Said employees shall be eligible to earn overtime compensation for work performed in excess of forty (40) hours in any week, for work performed on a scheduled day off or for work performed before 7 AM and after 6:30 PM on a scheduled flex-work day.
- 6.116 - EXCEPTIONS.
Upon recommendation of the appointing authority, the Director may exclude employees from the provisions of this Regulation where the conditions of employment and the nature of services rendered by the employee are such as to make it impractical to adhere to a standard work week and where the regular rate of pay has been established with due regard to the possibility of overtime work.
- 6.116A - Employees whose positions are allocated to the following classes for which the rate of pay has been increased to compensate the incumbents for overtime work, shall not be further compensated for any overtime work, either in cash pay or time off from work with pay (compensatory time) in accordance with the overtime pay provisions of these Regulations:
- Water Distribution Supervisor 2
- Water Conveyance Systems Superintendent
- Election Activities Assistant Administrator
- Sanitation Collections Assistant Administrator
- 6.116B - Employees whose positions are allocated to the following classes shall be compensated at one pay range above their regular rate of pay, but shall not be further compensated for any overtime work, either in cash pay or time off from work with pay (compensatory time) in accordance with the overtime pay provisions of these Regulations:
- Airport Public Relations Manager
- Assistant Fleet Manager for Operations
- Fleet Materials Management Director
- 6.117 - PAYMENT FOR COMPENSATORY TIME FOR RETIRING EMPLOYEES.
An employee who leaves the City service in order to retire under the Municipal Retirement System shall be continued on the payroll after his last day of work unless, at or before that time he has elected to the contrary, for the period representing the balance of the compensatory time (overtime and holiday) to his credit at the time of his retirement.
Payment for such compensatory time shall not be made, however, for the same period that an employee is receiving any pension payment under the Municipal Retirement System. An employee who elects to retire without being continued on the payroll for the period representing the balance of his accrued compensatory time shall thereby forfeit such balance of accrued compensatory time. (Refer to Section 20.085.)
- 6.1171 - Uniformed and Investigatory Employees in the Police Department and District Attorney's Office at or above the rank of Captain who leave the City service in order to retire under the Municipal Retirement System shall receive a lump sum cash payment for the balance of unused compensatory time in accordance with Regulation 6.11410.
- 6.118 - PAYMENT FOR COMPENSATORY TIME FOR OTHER THAN RETIRING EMPLOYEES.
An employee who leaves the City service for any reason other than to retire shall not receive payment for any compensatory time which may be credited to him at the time of separation, but such shall be treated in accordance with the provisions of Subsection 6.11183 of the Regulations. An employee who becomes entitled to Regulation 32 benefits shall, at the time of authorization for such benefits, be paid by the department in which he was last employed for all hours of compensatory time (overtime and holiday) to his credit at his then regular rate of pay. (Refer to Section 20.086.)
- 6.1181 - Uniformed and Investigatory Employees in the Police Department and the Fire Department Who Die During City Service.
The beneficiary(s) of a uniformed or investigatory employee dying while in the City service shall be paid by the department in which he was employed for all hours of compensatory time (overtime and holiday) to his credit at the regular rate of pay the employee was being paid at the time of his death, provided however, that with regard to supervisory personnel at, or above, the rank of Lieutenant in the Fire Department, or at the rank of Lieutenant in the Police Department or District Attorney's Office, payment for accrued compensatory time shall not exceed the limitation of one hundred and twenty (120) hours as provided in the Regulations. For the purpose of this Section, a beneficiary shall be deemed to be the following person or persons in the order listed in the following classes:
No person or persons shall be deemed a beneficiary whose relationship to the employee is not among those set forth or where there is a person or persons whose relationship to the employee is in a higher class. Where there is more than one person in a class eligible to receive such payment, it shall be divided equally among all persons in the class. Where the said payment is payable to any minor it may, within the discretion of the Personnel Director, be paid to the minor, to his legal or natural guardian, or the person or organization having custody of or assuming responsibility for the maintenance of the minor.
- The spouse living with the employee at the time of his death or entitled to be supported by him;
- The natural and adopted child or children of the employee;
- Any person dependent on the employee for support who was a stepchild or foster child of the employee or child to whom the employee stood in loco parentis;
- Parent or parents of the employee;
- Any stepchild, foster child and child to whom the employee stood in loco parentis;
- Any person whom the employee is legally obligated to support;
- The estate of the employee
- 6.1182 - Uniformed and Investigatory Employees of the Police Department and District Attorney's Office at or above the rank of Captain.
The beneficiary(s) of a uniformed or investigatory employee of the Police Department or District Attorney's Office at or above the rank of Captain dying while in the City service shall be paid for all hours of compensatory time (overtime and holiday) to his credit to a limit of three hundred (300) hours, at the regular rate of pay the employee was being paid at time of death. For the purpose of this Section determination of the beneficiary shall be in accordance with Section 6.1181.
- 6.119 - ROLL CALL ADJUSTMENT FOR YOUTH DETENTION COUNSELORS WORKING AT THE YOUTH STUDY CENTER.
Employees in positions in the following classes working at the Youth Study Center will receive an additional one and one-half (1_1/2) hour of pay per week when required to report for roll call on each day of their regular work week:
The purpose of this regulation is to compensate employees in the above classes at a premium rate for reporting for roll call each day during the work week, in accordance with the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Employees in the above classes, where required by the appointing authority, will report for roll call ten (10) minutes before their regularly scheduled reporting time on each day of their work week. Employees in these classes reporting for roll call four or five times during one week shall receive the full adjustment under this regulation. Employees reporting for roll call only two or three times in one week shall be paid only one additional half hour at time and a half. Employees reporting for roll call only once in one week and those not reporting for roll call at all shall receive no additional pay.
- 5B22 - Youth Detention Counselor I
- 5B23 - Youth Detention Counselor II