CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
POOL MAINTENANCE ATTENDANT
This is routine work at an assigned public swimming facility providing custodial, maintenance, checkroom and/or security services during the summer season. Employees are assigned to a specific pool or checkroom area, but may be temporarily reassigned to cover for employees absent from other areas.
Work is performed under the close supervision of a lifeguard or field supervisor, but assigned duties may be performed without direct supervision. Assignments are limited in nature and are performed in accordance with instructions and established routines. Work requires light physical effort in an environment involving some hazards and disagreeable aspects.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Sweeps and picks up debris, mops and scrubs walls, floors and fixtures in changing areas, toilet and showers; replenishes soap, paper towels and other consumables; drains and refills swimming pool; operates pool vacuum cleaner; cleans interior of pool with brushes and brooms; disconnects and reconnects water flow lines and backwashes filter; applies chlorine to pool mechanically or by hand; dispenses soda ash and aluminum sulphate.
- Maintains discipline in changing and pool areas; assures adherence to pool regulations.
- Checks wearing apparel and related non-valuables; issues tag for articles received; stores articles on racks or shelves; releases articles upon receipt of tag.
- Makes rounds inside or outside of buildings, guarding pool equipment against damage or loss from fire, theft, malfunction and other causes and keeping unauthorized persons away from the area; notifies Police or Fire Department in event of emergency.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- learn the methods, materials and equipment used in maintaining sanitary conditions of a swimming pool, locker and dressing rooms and in performing related custodial tasks.
- learn the mechanical methods of operation of swimming pool pumping and filtering equipment, chlorinators and related equipment.
- deal tactfully and courteously with the public.
- perform light manual tasks.
- understand and follow oral and written instructions.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests.)
- Education equivalent to completion of the eighth school grade.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to meet approved minimal physical and medical standards.
PAY RANGE: H03
Class Established: 2/1972
Latest Spec. Revision: 2/1983
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 9C05