PAY RANGE: N17
CORRECTIONAL FOOD AND MAINTENANCE CONTRACT SUPERVISOR
This is supervisory food and building maintenance services contract compliance management work in the Philadelphia Prisons. The employee in this class supervises and monitors, through subordinate personnel, the activities of contracted food and maintenance service agencies to assure compliance to contract terms and conditions. Work includes but is not limited to monitoring food and maintenance contracts through conducting inspections of all food production and storage facilities, equipment, while also recommending corrective action. The employee supervises employees performing tasks in support of the food and maintenance contract compliance. Establishing effective working relationships with City officials, prison administration and representatives of contracted agencies in order to assure compliance, advocate for improvements, and conduct performance evaluations is a significant aspect of the work. Work is performed under the direction of an administrative superior.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
1. The position must supervise and monitor, through subordinate personnel, the activities of contracted food and building maintenance service agencies to assure compliance to contract terms and conditions.
2. Only one position will be allocated to this class.
3. This position must be in the Philadelphia Prisons.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
Supervises personnel monitoring the activities of contracted food and maintenance service agencies; directs staff conducting weekly inspections of all food production facilities, equipment, storage and service areas to insure compliance with the food preparation, sanitary standards, and food waste management; directs staff in the preparation of inspection reports and performance evaluations, noting non-compliance to superiors while also recommending corrective action; makes follow-up inspection to insure corrections are made; may oversee the modification of food production facilities and equipment to assure compliance to standards; financial invoices, reports and records prepared by subordinate employees.
Directs the preparation of special diet menus; meets with nursing personnel and representatives of religious groups for the preparation of special diet menus; compiles, prepares and verifies special diet menus.
Coordinates with Philadelphia Prison System administration and private food vendors to obtain and present information about the purchase and installation of food service equipment, to make overall recommendations to improve services.
Coordinates with Philadelphia Prison System administration and representatives from maintenance service vendors to obtain information about the maintenance of and repairs to all correctional facilities; establishes goals and timetables for contract preparation; recommends and monitors new procedures to determine their effectiveness; evaluates performance in relation to contract compliance.
Monitors service provided by sub-contractors on facilities maintenance contracts for general maintenance, plumbing, electrical, HVAC and snow removal; inspects work performed by sub-contractors; makes necessary recommendations to facilities maintenance contractors to insure contract compliance.
Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· the methods, tools and equipment used in large scale food preparation and service.
· sanitation and health regulations and procedures relating to the operation of large scale institutional food service facilities.
· the safety measures to be observed in large scale cooking operations, especially as they apply to a correctional environment.
· the methods, materials and equipment used in the inspections of food production facilities and equipment, and food storage and service areas.
· supervisory methods and techniques, dietary laws and regulations, as they apply to food preparation and service.
· research of current food preparation, service, and maintenance compliance techniques
· the principles and practices of contract management and compliance.
· conduct inspections of food production facilities and equipment, and food storage and service areas.
· prepare inspection reports, noting non-compliance and recommending corrective action.
· supervise the activities of a staff performing food inspection and contract compliance work
· coordinate and prepare special diet menus.
· review and verify invoices for payment.
· learn administrative practices and procedures as they relate to a building maintenance and repair program.
· develop policies procedures and guidelines for monitoring contract compliance.
· evaluate the quality and effectiveness of a building maintenance program.
· establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, prison administration and representatives of contracted agencies
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 8/04.)
Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade, supplemented with post high school training in advanced cook/chill food production system that has included a completion of Hazards Analyses Critical Control Points program (H.A.C.C.P).
Three years of experience in large scale food preparation and service in a correctional institution.
Two years of food service management experience in a correctional institution monitoring the activities of contracted food service agencies.
Or any equivalent combination of training and experience determined to be acceptable by the Office of Human Resources, which has included the specific experience described above.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
CSC - 4/04; Ad. Board - 8/04
Latest Spec Revision: CSC - 12/15; Ad Board – 12/15