CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
FOOD SERVICE WORKER
This is food service work facilitating the preparation and service of food in a City institution on an assigned shift. Employees in this class clean food preparation and service areas, prepare simple dishes, serve food, and aid cooks in the preparation of more complex foods.
Work is performed under the immediate supervision of a higher level food service worker, cook, or food service manager. Work involves light physical effort.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Prepares a variety of menu items such as cereal, toast, coffee, tea and salads; performs facilitating tasks for cooks such as scraping and dicing vegetables, breading fish and meats, and putting desserts in bowls.
- Sets up and delivers food trays to dining area; sets up and delivers food trays to floors with bedridden patients; wraps bread, puts flatware and food on tray; serves food and beverages from steam tables, counters or food carts in dining areas.
- Sets tables, fills salt, pepper and sugar receptacles; washes dishes, pots and pans; cleans kitchen, dining area and equipment; sweeps and mops kitchen and dining areas.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- learn the methods and practices of food preparation and service.
- learn the use and care of the equipment used in food preparation and service.
- understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- maintain personal cleanliness.
- maintain effective working relationships with associates, inmates, residents and the public.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 11/1984.)
- Ability to read and write English.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 5
Class Established: 1/1953
Spec. Revision: 11/1984
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 8B01