PAY RANGE: 13
GROUNDS MAINTENANCE WORKER CREW CHIEF
This is supervisory and manual work performing turf and ground maintenance in park areas, roads and related facilities. Employees in this class plan and schedule grounds maintenance within an assigned sector, supervise groups of lower level employees, and participate in the work performed. An employee in this class may supervise a group of employees performing greenhouse/nursery work. Accountability for the completion of work in accordance with prescribed standards is a significant aspect of the job. Work is performed under the supervision of a district supervisor.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
Plans and schedules routine ground maintenance tasks such as mowing and trash collection based on sector maintenance objectives; advises subordinates of sector maintenance tasks and work schedules.
Receives work assignments showing location of work to be performed from a district supervisor; advises superiors of problem areas; recommends corrective action; instructs subordinates on corrective action to be taken.
Assigns, supervises and participates in the work of a crew of grounds maintenance personnel engaged in mowing, trimming, fertilizing and mulching landscaped areas, refuse and litter removal, maintenance of playgrounds, ball fields and recreation areas, and clearing fields of brush and woods of undergrowth; applies pesticides.
May plan, assign, supervise and participate in the work of a crew of greenhouse personnel engaged in the planting, transplanting, pruning, fertilizing and watering of flowers, shrubs, trees and other plants in the Park’s greenhouse and/or nursery.
Operates automotive equipment such as tractors, mowers, and related equipment including commonly towed attachments; operates riding and non-riding power equipment and tools such as riding mowers, power snow-removal equipment, mowers, hedge trimmers, and leaf blowers; may operate single-axle compactors carrying refuse; may drive and operate single axle dump trucks hauling dirt, compost and other loose materials and/or carrying salt and attached snowplow for the purposes of removing snow and salting icy roads.
Assigns and supervises lubrication and adjustment of power tools and mechanical equipment according to preventive maintenance schedule; removes, sharpens, balances and replaces mower blades as necessary.
Assigns, supervises, and participates in the work of a crew which digs and loads rocks, ballast, crushed stone and dirt onto trucks; fills holes; compacts fill by tamping.
Disassembles and assembles grounds maintenance machinery to replace visibly damaged parts; checks machinery for malfunctions and adjusts to manufacturer's specifications.
Operates light truck as necessary to transport employees and equipment or to assist in the collection of refuse.
Prepares progress reports on work production and employees' attendance.
Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the care of park grounds
• the principles and practices of turf and grounds maintenance
• the methods and materials used in propagating, cultivating and transplanting stock in greenhouses and nurseries
• the common characteristics of grass, flowers and shrubs which grow well in an urban environment
• the common characteristics of plants
• the operation of power tools and complex power equipment
• the budding, layering and dividing of plants
• the methods of propagating plants
• the application of growth regulators, herbicides, fungicides and fertilizers
• the operation of automotive equipment
• assign and supervise a crew engaged in turf and grounds maintenance activities
• propagate and cultivate a wide variety of plant materials
• apply growth regulators, herbicides and fungicides
• complete a course in basic supervision during a probationary period
• identify ornamental shrubs, trees, plants and a variety of weeds
• read and follow instructions found in repair manuals and chemical product instructional pamphlets
• keep routine records and to make reports
• perform tasks requiring mechanical aptitude
• operate power tools and equipment
• perform a variety of manual tasks
• understand and follow oral and written instructions
• perform manual labor for an extended period often under adverse climatic conditions
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 8/16.)
Successful completion of forty (40) hours of course work in grounds maintenance from a high school or vocational training program.
Two years of experience above the entry level caring for and maintaining park grounds and/or working in greenhouse operations.
Any equivalent combination of experience or education that is determined to be acceptable by the Office of Human Resources.
Note: One additional year of the above experience may substitute for the 40 hours of course work in ground maintenance.
City of Philadelphia classes that typically meet the experience requirements:
Grounds Maintenance Worker 2 (7N72)
Greenhouse/Nursery Attendant (7N07)
Recreation Facilities Caretaker 2 (7D62)
Labor Crew Chief 1 (Parks and Recreation assignments only) (7A06)
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of appointment as a Grounds Maintenance Worker Crew Chief.
Class Established 10/83
CSC - 6/00
Ad Board - 4/01
Ad Board: 9/14
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC – 7/16
Ad. Board – 8/16