CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
PRINTING PRESS OPERATOR II
This is printing work operating and maintaining offset presses, duplicating machines and platen and cylinder letterpresses of moderate to large sizes. An employee in this class performs duties within a diversified printing operation, utilizing presses that possess a maximum sheet size capacity equivalent to moderate or large size stock. Assignments include pasting, stripping, platemaking, bindery and multi-color reproduction. This class is differentiated from the next lower class in the series by the responsibility for engaging in multicolor reproduction which involves half-tone, solid line copy and close registration work, and which requires multiple grades, finishes and weights of stock.
Work is performed under the supervision of a printing supervisor and involves light physical exertion, contact with printing and cleansing solutions and exposure to a noisy environment.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be approved for this class.)
- Positions in this class must perform duties in a diversified printing shop operation.
- Positions in this class must print complex multi-color items within a maximum sheet size operating a moderate or large size press.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY) )
- Prints single and multicolor items on a single or multicolor press which involve half-tone, solid line copy and close registration work; cuts, pastes and waxes different pieces of material items; aligns source document properly on camera equipment; operates camera equipment; focuses lens; adjusts light and exposure time; enlarges and/or reduces source document; photographs and/or produces negative of source document; transfers negative of source document onto paper or metal plate; coats paper or metal plate; mounts paper or metal plate onto a press; cuts size of paper; stacks paper on feeder; positions guides and sets press for size and thickness of paper; adjusts paper holder and pressure valves to hold and regulate flow of speed; mixes two or more colors for a color solution; feeds and controls water and color solution cylinders; regulates and evenly distributes ink flow; aligns plates for half-tone, solid line copy and close registration work; runs test copies for clarity, precision, registration and color quality; makes necessary adjustments to press and runs job; monitors press while in operation; changes color solution and/or mounts paper or metal plate as many times as the number of multiple colors, grades, finishes and prints involved; cleans printing plates and press between color changes, using type cleaner or solvent; removes material item after completion.
- Operates platen and cylinder letterpresses; builds up back of plates with sheets of folio to raise plate to printing level; inserts letters and/or numbers in chase; installs plate with backing on plate cylinder and locks in position using hand tools; applies folio to blanket cylinder to build up to diameter of plate cylinder; presses letters and/or numbers in chase against cylinder of letterpress for a vertical or a horizontal print.
- Performs bindery and shipping work; cuts, folds and staples materials; packages material items for delivery; loads and unloads material stock from vendor truck.
- Performs minor repairs on printing equipment; cleans water and color solution cylinders; checks component parts of printing equipment such as rollers, pressure valves and water and color solution cylinders for malfunction; cleans and files paper or metal plate after use.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the operation of offset presses, single or multicolor duplicating machines and platen and cylinder letterpresses.
- the various kinds of paper, inks, chemicals and other materials used in offset printing and duplicating work.
- the methods and techniques involved in offset printing and duplicating work.
- the various weights, grades and finishes involved in complex multicolor reproduction.
- the operation of offset presses and duplicating machines and platen and cylinder letterpresses.
- cutting, pasting, waxing and stripping.
- making paper or metal plates.
- production of high quality prints.
- learn complex multicolor reproduction on a variety of medium and large size printing and duplicating equipment.
- mix and match inks and adjust fountain to proper flow and distribution.
- clean and perform minor repairs on printing equipment.
- produce high quality printing.
- clean, oil and perform minor repairs on printing and duplicating equipment.
- understand and follow oral and written instructions.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 11/1991.)
- Education equivalent to the completion of the twelfth school grade.
- One year of experience in the operation of offset printing and duplicating machines.
- Two years of offset printing experience which has included multicolor reproduction.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department which has included the specific experience.
NOTE: Completion of a Vocational or Trade school training program in multi-color reproduction may be substituted for one year of the specific experience.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 13
CSC - 11/1967 ; Ad Board - 12/1967
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC - 11/1991 ; Ad Board - 12/1991
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7M08