CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
This is skilled photographic work, involving technical and creative applications of still black and white and color photography. Employees in this class utilize photographic techniques to produce artistic and/or creative effects. Contacts with city officials, foreign visitors, and private citizens are a significant aspect of the work. Photographs provided by the employees are used as an important part of the city's publicity and promotion program.
Work is performed under the general supervision of a technical or administrative superior and may involve some disagreeable aspects and light physical effort.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Determines composition of pictures to be taken on subject matter to be photographed and intended manner of presentation; positions person in desired poses; selects proper settings; selects and uses appropriate filters and lenses for black and white or color film; uses enlargers, 35mm cameras, and chemicals for development of black and white film.
- Photographs objects of art using special films, lighting, equipment, and various innovations in order to present artistic and/or creative effects.
- Develops and prints black and white still pictures; intensifies, reduces, enlarges, crops, or retouches pictures as required; titles, dates and mounts pictures; makes contact or projection prints; maintains files and records of work performed; inspects and makes routines repairs to photographic equipment.
- Photographs city officials, private citizens, foreign visitors, and special events for promotional purposes; photographs city buildings, street scenes, neighborhood portraits and other city promotional locations.
- Photographs and develops still black and white photos of documents, photographs, and other materials; takes identification portraits; takes portraits of city officials for public relations purposes.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the principles, materials and equipment used in taking still photographs.
- photographic techniques and editorial judgment used in selecting subject matter, poses, background and lighting for effective photographic expressions.
- the principles, practices, materials, and equipment used in development of still black and white film, including automated photo-processing equipment.
- the properties and characteristics of color film.
- the use and care of photographic and related equipment such as enlargers, contact printers, washers, dryers, cameras, and automated photo-processing equipment.
- performing photographic work involving technical aspects of photography.
- produce pictures which are of high technical and artistic quality.
- choose subject and plan photographic work which will contribute to the city's public information and/or tourism programs.
- to order and inventory supplies related to a photographic unit.
- participate in the logistical planning of social events which are to be photographed for public relations purposes.
- maintain records.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and officials of various city departments.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 6/1988.)
- Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade.
- Three years of experience as a commercial, news, or portrait photographer.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as a Senior Photographer if required by work assignments.
PAY RANGE: 15
Class Established: 1/1961
Latest Spec. Revision: 6/1988
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7L12