PAY RANGE: 17
This is promotional photography and videography work, involving technical and creative applications of digital photography and video, portraying people, places, and events for publicity, promotional and archival purposes. The employee in this class serves as a promotional photographer for a City department or high level City officials and is responsible for travelling to events and locations to conduct photography work and manipulating and enhancing scanned or digital images to create desired effects using computers and specialized software. Coordinating ceremonial events, establishing and maintaining effective work relationships with City officials, community leaders, private businesses and representative of civic organizations and other government agencies is of major significant to the work. Work is performed under the general direction of an administrative superior.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be approved for this class.)
1. The position must be responsible for performing promotional photographic work for publicity and promotional and archival purposes for a City department or high level City officials.
2. The position must be responsible for travelling to events and locations to conduct photography work and manipulating and enhancing scanned or digital images to create desired effects using computers and specialized software.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
Serves as a promotional photographer for a City department or other high-level city officials.
Creates and edits digital print photos to serve as records for City officials and to highlight department events; photographs the Mayor, city officials, private citizens, city employees, events, exhibits and celebrations for promotional and publicity purposes; creates and edits digital media including high definition videos to be used in media campaigns and documentary style programs; takes pictures to be used for presentations; contacts persons to be photographed; schedules appointments; determines compositions of pictures to be taken based on the subject matter to be photographed and intended manner of presentation; positions intended subjects in desired poses including featured photography and landscapes needed to projects; selects proper settings; captured photographic digital images; enhances and modified images as required.
Utilizes specialized photographic development techniques and software to edit, resize, retouch, refine and enlarge the image or the quality of the digital print; draws attention to particular aspects of pictures by blurring out the background; utilizes light, lens, film, filters and camera settings to make pictures of high quality; takes video footage, as assigned
Travels to ceremonial and publicity events and places to photograph the intended subjects, city officials, distinguished officials, and private citizens; may be responsible for photographing landscape as needed for projects.
Performs tests on equipment to ensure proper functions; ensure equipment maintenance is performed within vendor specifications; researching innovations applicable to the field; makes recommendations and budget requests for new equipment; maintains inventories and requisitions supplies;
Performs related work as required.
· the principles, materials, and equipment used in photography work, including digital photography.
· photographic techniques and editorial judgment used in selecting subject matter, poses, background and lighting for effective photographic expression.
· photographic techniques to produce varying effects and messages
· theory and techniques of modern photography.
· video productions, including post production techniques and applications
· the properties and characteristics digital photography.
· equipment, techniques, and methods of presenting photographs, video and other visual material.
· the use and care of photographic and related equipment
· the use of specialized software, computer hardware and other instruments used to manipulate digital photographs and video
· the use of digital photography and high definition video software and equipments
· performing video work involving technical aspects of photography.
· produce photography and high definition video which are of high technical and artistic quality.
· choose subject and plan photographic work.
· select the appropriate camera angles, picture composition, filtering, lighting, or other treatment necessary to produce a desired message or special effect.
· forecast the needs of the department to high level city official to interpret the needs for projects
· maintain and organize digital resources in a searchable database.
· establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and officials of various city departments.
· provide professional customer service
· maintain records, prepare reports and correspondence related to the work.
· produce and direct the production of multi-media slide presentations.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 3/14.)
Completion of an Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in digital video production, film/TV, art, photography, or a closely related field.
Three years of full time equivalent experience, which shall have occurred within the last eight years, as a professional photographer or videographer, performing promotional photographic work portraying people, places, and events for publicity and ceremonial purposes.
Completion of a Certificate from an accredited program in Digital Imaging or a related field.
Five years of full time equivalent experience, which shall have occurred within the last eight years, as a professional photographer or videographer, performing promotional photographic work portraying people, places, and events for publicity and ceremonial purposes.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Office of Human Resources.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator’s license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as a Photographic Specialist.
Class Established: CSC - 7/94, Ad. Board - 8/94
Spec. Revision: CSC - 3/03, Ad. Board - 7/03
Latest Spec. Revision:
Ad Board- 3/14