CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
This is promotional photography work, involving technical and creative applications of still black and white and color photography, portraying people, places, and events for publicity and ceremonial purposes. The employee in this class serves as a promotional photographer for the Mayor and other high-level City officials. Work involves periodic travelling to ceremonial events and places, to conduct promotional photography work. Work is performed under the general direction of the Deputy City Representative.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
- The position must be responsible for performing promotional photographic work for publicity and ceremonial purposes.
- The position must be responsible for performing promotional photographic work for the Mayor and other high-level officials.
- The position must be located in the City Representative's Office.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Serves as a promotional photographer for the Mayor and other high-level city officials.
- Determines compositions of pictures to be taken based on subject matter to be photographed and intended manner of presentation; positions persons in desired poses; selects proper settings; uses filters and lenses for black and white or color film, enlargers, 35 mm cameras, and chemical for development of black and white film.
- Photographs the Mayor, city officials, private citizens, events, exhibits and celebrations for promotional and publicity purposes; takes still pictures to be used for slide show presentations; contacts persons to be photographed; schedules appointments.
- Develops and prints photographs in a darkroom; utilizes photographic development techniques to enlarge or otherwise alter the picture's image; draws attention to particular aspects of pictures by blurring out the background; utilizes light, lens, film, filters and camera settings to make pictures of high quality.
- Develops and prints black and white still pictures; intensifies, reduces, enlarges, crops, or retouches pictures as required; titles, dates and mounts pictures; prepares caption to accompany slide or film show presentations; utilizes digital photography and specialized computer software to capture photographic images electronically and enhance and modify images as required.
- Takes video footage, as assigned, to be edited into a feature film presentation; works in preparing film scripts; works in preparing musical score for films; uses video equipment for such work.
- Travels to ceremonial and publicity events and places to photograph the Mayor, city officials, distinguished officials, and private citizens.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the principles, materials, and equipment used in still black and white, and color photography work, including digital photography./li>
- photographic techniques and editorial judgment used in selecting subject matter, poses, background and lighting for effective photographic expression.
- the principles, practices, and materials, and equipment used in development of still black and white film, including automated photo-processing equipment.
- the properties and characteristics of color film.
- equipment, techniques, and methods of presenting slides, photographs, and other visual material.
- the use and care of photographic and related equipment, such as enlargers, contact printers, washers, dryers, cameras and automated photo-processing equipment.
- performing photographic work involving technical aspects of photography.
- produce pictures which are of high technical and artistic quality.
- choose subject and plan photographic work.
- maintain records.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and officials of various city departments.
- produce and direct the production of multi-media slide presentations.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 7/94.)
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade, supplemented by at least two years of training at an accredited school of art, photography, or film/TV.
- Five years of experience performing promotional photographic work portraying people, places, and events for publicity and ceremonial purposes.
Any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of
a position in this class.
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as a Photographic Specialist if required by work assignment.
PAY RANGE: 17
CSC: 7/94, Ad Board: 8/94
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC: 3/03, Ad Board: 7/03
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7L11