CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
STREET LIGHTING SUPERINTENDENT
This is administrative and technical work directing inspections of contracted street lighting construction and maintenance and overseeing the repair or replacement of street lighting equipment and foundations by City crews involved in city-wide program. Coordinating the activities of contractors and City street lighting crews on an operational level is a significant aspect of the work. The employee in this class is responsible for overseeing all activities at the Street Lighting shop including preparing the preliminary annual budget, making field investigations, serving as a technical back-up and directing the stores and vehicular operations. Work is performed under the direction of a technical superior.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Oversees the work of subordinate supervisors as they plan, assign and review the work of a staff of inspectors engaged in checking the installation and maintenance of street lighting facilities of private contractors for conformance to specifications; oversees and plans, assigns and reviews, through subordinate supervisors, the work of street lighting crews engaged in repairing street lighting facilities.
- Coordinates at the operational level the activities of various private contractors and utility companies involved in street lighting activities; meets with state officials concerning the City's installation and maintenance of lighting on state roads within the City.
- Attends meetings with contractors to clarify and discuss contract specifications.
- Serves as a technical source in matters concerning street lighting inspections, maintenance and specifications.
- Prepares proposed specifications for street lighting equipment; estimates need for street lighting equipment; contacts vendors to expedite delivery; directs operations of stores area through subordinate storeskeeper; tests new equipment for conformance to specifications.
- Makes inspections in the field; conducts tests in the field to determine lighting needs; investigates complaints and makes recommendations; lays out proposed street light locations and relocations.
- Directs a clerical staff in preparing reports, payroll records and correspondence regarding work activities of the various units.
- Schedules the inspection and maintenance of a fleet of vehicles used by the entire street lighting operations section.
- Plans monthly reports on the activities of the staff for technical superior; prepares accident damage claim reports; reports those claims in court when necessary.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the practices and procedures involved in the installation, maintenance and repair of street lights.
- inspectional methods and procedures.
- the principles and theories of electricity.
- supervisory methods and techniques.
- occupational hazards and safety precautions involved in street lighting work.
- the operation of electrical testing equipment required in street lighting.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, engineers, contractors, and officials of governmental agencies.
- interpret, explain, and enforce compliance with contract specifications firmly and tactfully.
- write specifications and make requisitions for street lighting items.
- express ideas effectively, both orally and in writing.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 2/86.)
- Completion of a two year study at an accredited college or university with major course work in electrical or construction engineering technology, and two years of field experience in construction involving electrical work, in a capacity above the crew chief level.
- Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade and, five years of experience inspecting street lighting or outdoor electrical construction for conformance to contracts, two years of which has been supervising such inspectional facilities.
- Or five years of experience in the installation, maintenance and repair of various types of street lighting or outdoor electrical equipment including one year at the crew chief level and one year supervising.
Or any equivalent combination of training and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
PAY RANGE: EP20
CSC - 5/1967
Latest Spec. Revision: 2/1986
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7K58