CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
STREET LIGHTING SUPERVISOR
This is technical work supervising a city-wide program of installing, repairing, and inspecting street lighting equipment. The employee in this class is responsible for a city-wide street lighting program of maintenance and installation, as well as inspection of completed work. Work includes oversight of the street lighting maintenance contract, ensuring that contractors' performance meets contract specifications, and administering the deactivization of the alley lighting system. Coordination of street lighting maintenance and inspection functions through contact with public utilities officials, private contractors, and the public are significant aspects of the work.
Work is performed under the direction of the Street Lighting Superintendent.
ALLOCATING FACTORS (The following conditions must be met for a position to be approved for this class.)
- Only one position will be allocated to this class.
- This position must supervise, through subordinate supervisors, the installation, maintenance, repair, and inspection of street lighting equipment.
- This position must be located in the Streets Department.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Plans, assigns, and reviews the work, through subordinate crew chiefs, of City crews engaged in the repair of street lighting equipment in the field and the repair shop; supervises, through subordinates, the maintenance and installation of street lighting that is not performed by private contractors; oversees the work directly when unusual or special repair work is required; makes unannounced trips into the field to check on the progress of the work and its conformance to City specifications and departmental regulations; ascertains if workers are adhering to all safety regulations.
- Plans, assigns, and reviews the work of a staff of inspectors engaged in examining the installation and maintenance of street lighting equipment; makes inspections in the field; investigates requests to determine lighting needs and makes recommendations; investigates complaints of inadequate lighting; draws plot plans proposing street light locations and relocations; ensures that work performed by private contractors conforms to specifications; discusses new projects and installations with inspectors; reviews inspection forms for accuracy and completeness.
- Oversees the alley lighting system; administers the deactivation and removal of the alley lighting equipment; ensures that dangerous electrical exposures are repaired.
- Investigates damages to City lighting caused by automotive vehicles; estimates materials, time, and labor needed to make repairs; reviews accident reports for accuracy and completeness, and signs and forwards same; participates in the inspection of all electrical maintenance materials ordered and received in the storeroom to ascertain if they meet departmental specifications.
- Coordinates street lighting repairs, maintenance, and inspections through contact with contractors, public utility officials, and the public; confers with officials from public utilities to coordinate their work with the city-wide street lighting program; contacts representatives of private contractors to replace broken or defective cables and to correct damage to City lights caused by automotive vehicles and vandalism.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the practices and procedures involved in the repair, maintenance, and installation of street lights.
- the principles and theories of electricity.
- the occupational hazards and safety precautions involved in street lighting work.
- inspection methods and techniques.
- supervisory methods and techniques.
- read plans, blueprints, and specifications, and to recognize deviations, improper or faulty construction, and other hazardous conditions created during the installation process and to recommend corrective actions.
- supervise employees engaged in inspecting the installation and maintenance of street lights.
- coordinate inspection activities with public utilities and private contractors during construction or repair of street lights.
- determine the conformity of material quantities, and workmanship methods and quality with contract requirements, plans, and specifications.
- express ideas effectively, both orally and in writing.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, company officials, contractors and the public.
- make estimates of time, materials and labor needed to complete a job.
- interpret, explain, and enforce compliance with contract specifications and departmental regulations.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 11/93.)
- Education equivalent to the completion of the twelfth school grade.
- Four years of experience in the electrical lineworker trade or performing technical field inspection work.
- Four years of experience at the first supervisory level or two years of experience at the second supervisory level, supervising the installation, maintenance, inspection, or repair of various types of street lighting equipment in the shop or in the field.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department that has included the specific experience described above.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to and during tenure of employment as a Street Lighting Supervisor.
PAY RANGE: EP17
Class Established: 3/1968
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC - 11/1993 ; Ad Board - 1/1994
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7K57