CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
STREET LIGHTING CREW CHIEF
This is skilled work supervising the repair, maintenance and installation of various types of street lighting fixtures in the field and shop. Reviewing requests, assigning and reviewing work of lighting crews, and contact with employees of public utilities and the general public are significant aspects of the work. Work is performed under the general supervision of a technical superior.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Receives work requests for the repair, maintenance and installation of various types of street lighting fixtures including mercury vapor, sodium, metal Halide, fluorescent, and incandescent lights; reviews work requests and assigns priorities; determines the size and composition of crews as well as materials needed to complete daily assignments; reassigns employees to insure maximum coverage on all crews; gives crew leaders special instructions where necessary; inspects work in progress and renders advice or assistance as necessary.
- Responds to and investigates complaints concerning hazardous conditions; takes necessary remedial actions or directs crews contacted by two way radio in the taking of these actions.
- Makes estimates on new construction work, on work involving the moving of poles and conduits, and the maintenance of existing systems.
- Calls on homeowners to obtain permission for the attachment of wires and brackets to their properties; confers with officials and members of public utilities to work out work project problems.
- Assigns shop crews to the tasks of salvaging, rebuilding and testing street lights and fixtures; tours the shop to see that sufficient supplies and materials are available to meet the needs of field forces.
- Conducts tests to locate faults in underground cable using test instruments including electronic cable locater, fault finder, megger and volt meter, amp probes, and ammeters.
- Maintains records of the work completed by shop and field forces; prepares and submits written reports on such activities to superiors.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the tools and materials used in the repair, maintenance and installation of street lights and appurtenances.
- the methods and practices used in the repair, maintenance and installation of street lights and appurtenances.
- the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the electrical trade.
- the principles and theory of electricity.
- supervise the work of employees engaged in the installation and repair of City street lighting systems.
- make labor, material, and time estimates and to read and interpret technical diagrams and blueprints.
- keep records and complete reports.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the public.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 1/1953.)
- Education equivalent to the completion of the twelfth school grade.
- Six years of experience in the overhead electrical line trade, including two years at the full performance level, one year of which has been in street lighting work.
Or any equivalent combination of training and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as a Street Lighting Crew Chief.
PAY RANGE: 17
Class Established: 1/1953
Latest Spec. Revision: 1/1986
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7K56