CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
ELECTRONIC VOTING MACHINE TECHNICIAN
This is voting machine maintenance and repair work. An employee in this class prepares and tests voting machines for primary and general elections, and repairs or replaces damaged or malfunctioning parts. Work includes delivering voting machines to the polling places, explaining and/or demonstrating voting machine operation to polling officials, and receiving voting machines after election. Work is performed under the supervision of a technical superior and involves physical effort.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
- Position must prepare and test voting machines for primary and general elections, and repair or replace damaged or malfunctioning parts.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Prepares voting machine materials prior to election; prints voting machine ballots and memory cartridges in accordance with assigned Ward and Division, using a windows based application; proofreads, sorts and distributes voting machine ballots and memory cartridges.
- Prepares and tests voting machines for election; performs service set-up and maintenance procedures in accordance with the appropriate service codes; installs voting machine paper tape, ballot and memory cartridge; performs test election procedures, verifying materials installed and certifying test records; seals and records voting machine seal number.
- Repairs and maintains voting machines; troubleshoots and identifies voting machine problems such as but not limited to electronic board failure, printer jam and low battery voltage; replaces damaged or malfunctioning parts such as but not limited electronic boards, wheels, shocks, latches, actuator assemblies, doors, rods, switches, fuses and light bulbs using various hand tools and equipment; may solder port level components as necessary.
- Delivers voting machines to designated polling places and explains and/or demonstrates voting machine operation to election officials.
- Performs test election procedures after election.
- May direct and assign work to temporary workers engaged in voting machine preparation work.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the voting machine materials, tools and equipment
- the voting machine service set-up and maintenance procedures
- the voting machine test election procedures
- the methods, practices and procedures used in repairing and maintaining electronic/mechanical voting machines
- the hazards and safety precautions involved in repairing and maintaining electronic/mechanical voting machines
- the software used in preparing and printing voting machine ballots and memory cartridges.
- print voting machine ballots and memory cartridges in accordance with assigned Ward and Division, using a windows based application
- perform voting machine service set-up and maintenance procedures
- perform voting machine test election procedures
- repair and maintain voting machines, troubleshooting and identifying system problems and replacing as necessary using various hand tools and equipment
- deliver voting machines to designated polling places and explain and/or demonstrate voting machine operation to election officials
- understand and follow oral and written instructions, and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 3/02.)
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Education equivalent to completion of the tenth school grade.
- One year of electronic or mechanical work experience.
- Six months experience, performing voting machine service set-up and maintenance procedures, test election procedures, and repairing and maintaining voting machines.
Any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department that has included the specific experience described above.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of
a position in this class.
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as a Voting Machine Mechanic.
PAY RANGE: 9
Class Established: 1/59
CSC: 1/02, Ad Board: 3/02
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7J72