CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
This is full-performance level plastering work. The employees may perform ornamental as well as regular plastering.
Work is performed under the general supervision of a trades group leader or maintenance superintendent. Work involves environmental conditions which can only be partially controlled such as working around hot pipes, etc. and moderate physical effort on a frequent basis.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY) )
- Prepares surfaces for plastering; chips out broken plaster, concrete, or tile; installs wire laths; mixes plaster according to standard formula; applies plaster to walls and ceilings over laths with trowel; smooths plastered surfaces to desired finish; applies second coat as needed; fills in cracks in walls and ceilings with spackle; mixes cement according to package directions; smooths surface to desired finish.
- Molds and installs ornamental panels and trim, using templates, or fabricated molds; applies coat of plaster to wall and presses trim into position; duplicates and patches damaged or missing parts and sections.
- Erects and works from scaffolding and ladders.
- May assign routine manual tasks such as carrying materials and chipping plaster to one or more trades helpers or laborers; reviews work of helpers for conformance to instructions.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- methods, materials, tools, and practices used in the plastering trade.
- the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the plastering trade.
- the care and use of the tools and equipment common to the plastering trade.
- work with templates and molds.
- erect and work from scaffolding.
- estimate materials required for specific assignments.
- understand and follow oral and written instructions including penciled sketches.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 10/85.)
- Education equivalent to completion of the eighth school grade.
- Three years of experience learning the plastering trade as a helper or apprentice.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as a Plasterer if required by work assignment.
PAY RANGE: 13
Class Established: 1/1/1953
Latest Spec. Revision: 1/1986
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7H41