CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
This is full performance level work in the construction and finishing of poured concrete surfaces. Employees in this class share with other full performance level trades workers in a departmental maintenance program. Work is performed under the general supervision of a trades group leader or maintenance supervisor. The work involves some disagreeable aspects and frequently requires moderate physical exertion.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Constructs and sets forms; tacks wire mesh to walls.
- Pours concrete to construct and repair steps, curbs, bridges, benches, and sidewalks; manipulates trowels, and floats on poured concrete to secure a specified finish; applies cement grout to patch surfaces; mixes mortar and points bricks from scaffolding.
- May assign routine manual tasks such as mixing cement and digging up old cement to one or more trades helpers or laborers; reviews for conformance to instructions.
- Makes estimates of time and materials; may drive to and from work sites.
- Performs unskilled and semiskilled tasks in allied building trades.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- methods, materials, tools, and practices of the cement finishing trade.
- occupational hazards and safety precautions of the cement finishing trade.
- the care and use of tools, equipment and materials of the cement finishing trade.
- lay out work and finish poured concrete to a specified texture.
- erect and work from ladders and scaffolding.
- understand and follow oral and written instructions.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 9/76.)
- Completion of the eighth school grade.
- Three years of experience learning the cement finishing trade as a helper or apprentice.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department that has included the specific experience described above.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as a Cement Finisher.
PAY RANGE: 13
Class Established: 1/1953
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC - 7/1995 ; Ad Board - 8/1995
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7H31