CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
This is full performance work painting a wide variety of automotive vehicles and equipment. An employee in this class prepares surfaces of City automotive vehicles and equipment and paints them. Work includes removing old paint from vehicle, and stripping, taping and inscribing vehicle signs and numbers. An employee in this class repaints an entire vehicle or affected parts. Work is performed under the direction of an automotive group leader and involves moderate physical exertion, contact with chemical solutions and exposure to a noisy environment.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be approved for this class.)
- Positions in this class must paint City automotive vehicles and equipment.
- Positions in this class must prepare surfaces of City automotive vehicles and equipment and paint and inscribe vehicle signs and numbers.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Prepares surfaces of City automotive vehicles and equipment; removes old paint, signs and numbers from vehicles and equipment; applies fillers and sealers; featheredges, sands; smooths and cleans surfaces; tape-marks surfaces for painting.
- Mixes and matches paint to meet job specification; sprays surfaces with blended solid and metallic OEM finishes; sprays surfaces with acrylic enamel for base coat painting and acrylic lacquer or enamel for clear coat painting; paints entire vehicle or surfaces, and parts repaired or rebuilt.
- Applies stripetape and inscribes signs and numbers on City vehicles and equipment.
- Removes tape from surfaces or vehicle after painting; cleans spray guns and other painting instruments after use.
- Drives vehicle out of painting shop.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the methods, materials, tools and practices of the automotive painter trade.
- the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the automotive painting trade.
- methods and techniques used in mixing paint.
- sign painting and/or letterhead writing.
- the preparation of automotive surfaces for painting.
- the application of paint with a spray gun.
- the care and maintenance of tools and equipment.
- prepare automotive surfaces for painting.
- paint a wide variety of automobiles.
- mix and match paints.
- perform sign painting and/or letterhead writing.
- understand and follow oral and written instructions.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 1/53.)
- Education equivalent to completion of the eighth school grade.
- Three years of experience learning the automotive painting trade as a helper or apprentice.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania if required by work assignment.
PAY RANGE: 13
CSC - 1/1953 ; Ad Board - 2/1953
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC - 8/1992 ; Ad Board - 9/1992
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7F21