CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
AUTOMOTIVE MAINTENANCE APPRENTICE
( Body Repair )
( Mechanical Repair )
This is limited performance level automotive trades work assisting full performance level
trades personnel in the maintenance and repair of automotive vehicles and related component and
sub-component parts. Employees follow instructions in assisting full performance workers in
automotive body or mechanical maintenance and repair activities. Work involves some
disagreeable aspects and requires some physical exertion. Work is performed under the
supervision of a technical superior.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be approved for this class.)
- The position must assist full performance level automotive trades workers in the maintenance and repair of automotive vehicles and equipment.
- Positions must be located in the Office of Fleet Management.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the methods, materials, tools and practices used in the area of specialization.
- the hazards and safety precautions applicable to work in the area of specialization.
- use and maintain tools and repair equipment.
- learn to perform tasks related to the area of specialization.
- understand and follow oral and written instructions.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 1/95.)
- Equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade which has included 360 hours in an
automotive body or mechanical repair shop program.
- Successful completion of the 390 hours paid intern program sponsored by the City's Office of Fleet Management.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as an Automotive Maintenance Apprentice if required by work assignment.
NOTE: Employees are required, at time of appointment, to possess and maintain a starter set of tools.
PAY RANGE: 7
CSC - 11/1994 ; Ad Board - 1/1995
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7F01