CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
SLUDGE PROCESSING EQUIPMENT OPERATIONS CREW CHIEF
This is sludge processing equipment operation work at the supervisory level. Employees in this class are responsible for directing the activities of Heavy Equipment Operators engaged in the on-going processing and distribution of sewage sludge at the City Sludge Processing Plant.
Significant to the work is operational responsibility for completion of an area of the sludge processing function and close supervision and coordination of a crew of heavy equipment operators within a plant environment. The class is differentiated from higher level classes by a more limited scope in operational supervisory responsibility. Work is performed under environmental conditions which are disagreeable. The employee is supervised by a Sludge Program Operations Group Leader.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be approved for this class.)
- Work must be performed at and out of the Sludge Processing and Distribution Center.
- The employee must supervise skilled heavy equipment operators engaged in the Sludge Processing and Distribution Operation.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Makes assignments to operators of dump trucks, heavy front end loaders, and specialized equipment used in the composting, screening, mixing, or transporting of sludge products; assures that sludge moves through the processing plant in a timely manner; arranges for alternate storage areas for sludge products to accommodate incoming products and cleaning of existing storage areas; observes product during composting and recommends changes in processing procedures.
- Gives specific and continuing instructions to a crew of equipment operators engaged in the movement of sludge through the composting process; tours work area to assure work is in compliance with work orders and established routines; makes adjustments in assignment of men and equipment as necessary; initiates discipline of subordinates; prepares routine reports such as time and production sheets, injury reports and maintenance reports; assigns and reassigns subordinates to cover for absences and emergencies; reviews work and prepares employee time and performance reports.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- tools, equipment, materials and supplies used in equipment operations.
- occupational hazards present and safety precautions used in the operation of equipment and in laboring and sludge processing operations.
- the methods and practices used in equipment operation.
- the practices of sludge mixing, compositing, and screening.
- plan, layout, oversee and check the work of a group of skilled equipment operators, laborers, and semi-skilled laborers.
- understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- keep routine records and to make reports.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on /91.)
- Education equivalent to completion of the tenth school grade.
- Three years of general laboring or equipment operation experience
- One year of heavy equipment operation experience in the sludge processing and distribution center or one year supervising a laboring operation in the Sludge Processing Plant.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department that has included the specific experience described above.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of appointment as a Sludge Processing Equipment Operations Crew Chief.
PAY RANGE: 17
CSC - 1/1992 ; Ad Board - 2/1992
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7E31