CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
This is semiskilled work in the operation of machinery and equipment in a continuous feed incinerator plant.
Work is performed under the immediate supervision of a plant foreman. Assignments are stable
in nature and performed in accordance with instructions and established routines. Employees in this class exercise a controlling responsibility for regulating furnaces during an assigned shift. Work requires continuous moderate physical effort and is performed under conditions which can only be partially controlled.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Monitors control board and adjusts forced draft and induced draft fans, water sprays, intake of outside or inside air, and grate speed in accordance with instrument readings and sight checks of the incinerated refuse.
- Checks by touch the temperature of water jackets and bearings casings; makes frequent sight checks of fly ash control equipment.
- Replaces worn or damaged parts of moving furnace grates.
- Uses a hoe to pull residue from air zone doors beneath grates; shovels residue into wheelbarrows and dumps it into chutes leading to quenching tanks.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the operations and maintenance of incinerator furnaces or coal or oil-fueled steam boilers.
- the occupational hazards and safety precautions pertaining to furnace operations.
- heating and ventilating systems.
- tools and equipment used in making routine repairs to incinerator machinery and equipment.
- understand and effectively operate and adjust incinerator furnace controls.
- read and interpret meters and gauges used in disposal plant operations.
- understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- perform a wide variety of manual tasks.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests.)
- Ability to read and write English.
- One year of experience tending an incinerator furnace or high pressure coal or oil-fueled steam boilers.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to meet approved minimal physical and medical standards.
PAY RANGE: 9
Class Established: 8/1959
Latest Spec. Revision: 4/1972
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7E02