CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
CUSTODIAL WORKER II
This is custodial work at the lead worker level in the custodial care of public or
institutional buildings and surrounding grounds. Employees in this class also participate in
manual work as required. Work is performed under the close supervision of a higher level
custodial or other supervisor.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a
position to be approved for this class.)
- The position must be responsible for serving as a lead worker over a small group of
custodial workers providing custodial care of buildings and surrounding grounds areas.
- The position must be responsible for performing custodial work, such as mopping and
scrubbing floors, waxing and polishing floors and furniture, moving furniture, sweeping
and cleaning walks and related work.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Serves, in a lead worker capacity, over a small number of custodial workers engaged in
such duties as mopping and scrubbing floors, waxing and polishing floors and furniture, moving
furniture, sweeping and cleaning walks, and otherwise keeping buildings, equipment and
premises in an orderly condition; participates in tasks as required.
- Requisitions wax, cleaner and other janitorial supplies; distributes supplies to custodial
workers, and checks the use of supplies and equipment.
- Makes minor repairs to buildings and equipment; reports needed repairs to a supervisor.
- Keeps simple records and makes reports.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS
- the materials, methods and practices used in cleaning operations.
- the operation and care of vacuum cleaners, scrubbing machines, polishing machines, and
other janitorial equipment.
- assign and oversee the work of subordinates and to train and instruct employees in
cleaning and custodial operations.
- make minor repairs on building fixtures and equipment.
- understand and follow oral and written instructions and to keep simple records and make
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING
AND EXPERIENCE(The following statement
represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject
applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based
on training and experience requirements as approved on 11/55.)
Or any equivalent combination of acceptable training and experience.
- Education equivalent to completion of the eighth school grade.
- One year of experience in mopping and scrubbing floors, waxing and polishing floors and
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 7
Class Established: 1/1953
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC - 7/1997 ; Ad Board - 9/1997
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7D12