CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
HEAVY DUTY COMPACTOR OPERATOR
This is skilled work operating heavy duty, multi-axle trash compactors in the collection and transporting of solid waste material. An employee in this class operates a trash compactor with a minimum of thirty yard storage capacity. The class is differentiated form other classes by the size of the vehicle and by the responsibility for completing assigned routes and transporting solid waste materials directly to landfills and other acceptable sites. Employees are required to drive on interstate highways. Employees are responsible for the safe and efficient operation of equipment. Work involves conditions which can be partially controlled. Work is performed under the supervision of a crew chief.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Performs pre-trip inspection of vehicle by checking oil, water, tires, lights, mirror and other items affecting operations; performs first echelon maintenance and makes minor repairs.
- Operates multi-axle trash compactor to collect and transport solid waste materials; receives assigned routes from supervisor; drives vehicle slowly along streets, while laborers, walking beside vehicles, pick up refuse and load it in the vehicle; insures that all refuse material for assigned route is collected.
- Drives vehicle to designated locations, such as landfills; drives vehicle on city, state and inter-state highways to reach destinations; positions vehicle to unload material; manipulates controls to unload material; drives vehicles to and from the work site.
- Drives vehicle on city streets and highways during snow emergencies; drives vehicle with a snow plow attachment to clear streets and highways during now emergencies.
- Keeps trip record or log as may be required by State and Federal law; reports defects in the vehicle operated, accidents, traffic violations or damage to the vehicle.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the component parts and operating principles of the heavy duty compactor.
- automotive equipment operation of the heavy duty compactor.
- the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work.
- the geography of the city.
- the operation of a heavy duty compactor safely and efficiently, on or off the highway, in traffic and under adverse climatic conditions.
- learn the geography of the area served.
- service the automotive equipment and to make minor running repairs and adjustments.
- drive the heavy duty compactor on interstate highways for extended period of time.
- understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- read and write English.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 4/91.)
- Ability to read and write English.
- Two years of experience operating minor vehicles, including one year operating a single chassis truck and one year operating moderately heavy automotive equipment.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment in this class.
PAY RANGE: 12
CSC - 1/1989 ; Ad Board - 3/1989
CSC - 1/1993 ; Ad Board - 4/1993
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7C39