PAY RANGE: 14
This is skilled equipment operations work operating heavy duty wrecker automotive equipment used for towing larger vehicles. An employee in this class operates a heavy duty wrecker capable of towing a variety of large automotive equipment such as tractor trailers, compactors, and heavy duty dump trucks and performs light maintenance on downed vehicles. A significant aspect of the work involves rigging to facilitate towing and righting overturned vehicles. Work is performed under the supervision of a crew chief or group leader.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
Operates heavy duty wrecker truck (either single or tandem axle); rights overturned vehicles which may require the use of moveable or non-moveable booms and/or power winches; rigs various vehicles to be righted or towed using accepted procedures; uses booms to lift vehicles for towing; tows vehicles to designated locations; positions vehicles in work area for repair.
Clears accidents involving heavy duty vehicles from streets and highways.
Performs emergency repairs to keep vehicles operating or able to return to shop for further repairs, e.g., replaces hoses, wires, belts and batteries, tightens parts, adds fuel, cleans fuel pumps; inspects equipment for loose parts, damaged or worn tires and other items affecting its safe operation; checks oil, water, lights and mirrors; performs first-echelon maintenance and makes minor repairs.
Observes instruments while the vehicle is in operation and makes routine corrective action if malfunction is indicated.
Keeps trip record on log; reports defects in the vehicle operated, accidents, traffic violations or damage to the vehicle.
Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· the component parts and operating principles of heavy duty wreckers
· the functions, capabilities and operations of heavy duty wreckers
· vehicle rigging
· the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work
· the traffic laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
· the location of parts and component systems of larger trucks and vehicles
· the methods, materials, tools, and practices of the automotive mechanic trade
· the operation of heavy wrecker trucks, safely and efficiently, on or off the highway, in traffic and under adverse climatic conditions
· vehicular rigging
· manually releasing the emergency brakes on a heavy duty wrecker
· the operation of a standard shift heavy duty transmission
· performing light maintenance on various vehicles
· learn the geography of the area served
· service heavy wrecker equipment and make minor repairs and adjustments
· understand and carry out written and oral instructions
· perform heavy manual labor for prolonged periods under adverse climatic conditions
· maintain set of basic hand tools
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 3/14.)
One year of experience operating motor vehicles.
One year of experience operating a standard-sized tow truck towing vehicles involved in fatal accidents, homicide and/or vehicles reported stolen.
Any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Office of Human Resources which has included the Specific Experience described above.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, AND/OR CERTIFICATES
Possession of a Class A Commercial Driver's license with appropriate endorsements in passenger, air brakes and/or hazardous materials if required by assignment as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to the scheduled exam and during tenure of employment in this class.
Class Established: CSC - 9/84, Ad. Board - 11/84
Spec. Revision: CSC - 05/02, Ad. Board - 09/02
CSC – 1/14; Ad. Board – 3/14
Latest Spec. Revisions: CSC – X/16; Ad. Board – X/17